1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which way to go now?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kris, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Kris

Kris New Member

I have 10 years of experience in first and second line desktop support. But I got bored handling the same problems over and over again and I was thinking about a career move months ago. I decided to study computer science in Open University as a long term plan.

But, crises for everyone, I got fired! I became too expensive for that multinational.
    I have basis experience and knowledge with networking, TCP/IP, ... and the normal 2nd line stuff. I also have my first final done (SQL- databases) at university with a beautiful 80%. I already have a graduate degree in library and information science.

What can be a next move? I 'll earn less money than I did with my 2nd line support job with 10 years experience, but I have no other choice now, have I.
    My Open University will take too long to complete. I have a loan to pay for my house, so I can not study OU full time. I want to study something on the short term and continue my Open University as a long term plan, studying in the evenings.

I might get an opportunity to have a 10 month full time course in system administrator for free. It is not MCSA, it will be a certification of the governement I suppose. MAybe I can use that as a basic level to continue certifications.

SQL can be an other plan. I want to eventally end up in a combination of IT and library science and databases are very important in that area. Can I start studying SQL database administrator without having good knowledge of Microsoft windows server? Can I learn all I need in the MCITP database administrator course?

Are there other options?

WIP: Open University
  2. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Did you get any server administration experience during your 10 years?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kris

Kris New Member

The server administration was only basic level: move usersdirectory to other servers, AD account management, hardware failure diagnostics (using event viewer, HpOpenview), basic hardware interventions (replacing and rebuilding disks, add memory), installing a server occasionaly incl RAID config (by using procedures), ...

WIP: Open University
  4. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Still, it's experience. I'd think you'd be a good candidate for the MCSA. Not sure about that government certification... a certification is only as good as it's recognizability to employers. They've likely heard of Microsoft certifications... but probably not the other.

SQL may be more difficult... database administration isn't really a job that you just jump right into without a bit of experience first.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!