Which version of server license should I get?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by nugget, Mar 13, 2008.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm currently looking at getting some more Server 2003 licenses to be used as virtual machines on my ESX setup. The question is, as we are a small company of 40 or so people but expanding, should I get the standard or enterprise version?

I know that for each Standard license I can use it for 1 VM. Am I right in assuming that for each enterprise license I could install it on some hardware, put MS Virtual Server on it and use the same license for a further 4 VMs? Also can I just use the license for 4 VMs in ESX server without it being directly on the hardware?

Cost wise both would work out to around the same (if I understand it right). For the standard version I need to license every server (approx 1100 Sfr) if for the enterprise version I can use the one license for 4 VMs (approx 4500 Sfr).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm not sure about that, I know that they changed the licensing, but would it not be 1 enterprise licence for the physical machine, and then another enterprise licence for the 4 VM's?

Depending on how fast you expect the company to grow, and whether or not you will use all of the servers I would probably just go with buying standard as needed.

8)

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Maybe Phoenix or BM might have a clearer idea on that. As far as I understood it, you can use the same license for 4 VMs too as well as the initial install on the hardware. I can't make heads or tails from the licensing stuff.

This is the other thing. We have at the moment a good chance of being bought up by a large multi who will then invest a very large amount into our IT infrastructure. I just don't want to hear "who's the idiot that bought 10 standard servers" etc. Obviously in the face of 500 million dollars a couple of thousand don't really matter too much but would having enterprise versions have any immediate advantages for us now?

Personally I don't think we would need enterprise versions as I think we can do everything that we need to with standard, but I just wanted to get an idea from people who are already involved in larger companies.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Nugget

A very quick google came up with THIS word document to download. Not sure if it's any good.

The other thing I heard the other day is you can only buy server 2008 licenses now, which are downgradable to 2003. However I'm not sure about that one.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I think this is how MS has changed its licensing model because I got told the same recently with regards to some Office licenses. I could only buy MS Office 2007 but they can be downgraded to 2003 if needs be.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Confirmed. I spoke to our licensing manager at Misco who said MS only sell the latest licenses which can be downgraded.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

How many processors are in ur ESX farm?
    Get Datacenter edition, you get UNLIMITED virtualisation rights, but DC is sold on a per processor price
    however for a single processor its 1k USD cheaper LIST than Enterprise.. so for a two processor system, its cheaper than buying two copies of enterprise

it gives you rights to Virtualize any number of Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter servers

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ryan'll be a better source than I... my licensing knowledge is rather poor, since it seems to change every time I have to purchase them. I'd be forced to Google the info like everyone else. :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have 2 quad cores in the ESX server.

Would the datacenter edition be licensed for 2 or 8 physical processors?

AJ, thanks for the doc. I didn't manage to find that one. Lot's of info but still confusing though.

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

two, thats the beauty of it
    check with an MS licensing consultant before actually buying, they will know all the current policies and such

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks mate. [​IMG]

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I just got the quote back and it was a surprise. They say that I need 3 licenses for my ESX server, 1 for the physical machine and 2 for the 2 CPUs. :scratch

Anyone else with any other experience of this? I was at the Techdays 2008 last week and they mentioned the datacenter licensing and it was as Phoenix pointed out, a license needed for each physical CPU. Nothing about 1 for the physical machine too. I must say though that they were making a presentation about server 2008 and talking about hypervisor too so theoretically you have already bought a physical server license.

13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

They seem confused

ESX is sold in 2 CPU bundles, so one ESX enterprise license is good for one server with 2 CPUs (or two servers with 1 CPU each, but thats an unsupported configuraiton)

if you only have one ESX server you wont really need virtual center either

in fact most the enterprise features wont be required as they wont work with a saingle system, no shared storage and no VC, so you can get away with ESX Standard

two part numbers, with quantity of 1 each is all that should be required (i'm going off my flakey memory here hehe)

one for ESX Standard, 2 CPU License (VI-STD-C)
    1 for support (VI-STD-G-SSS)

Edit: Ohhh seems you mean the Windows licensing? hmm I'll see if I can find out.. but wasn't sure it worked that way..
    cheeky buggers if it does