Which router is good for telewest baroadband?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tech291083, Apr 1, 2006.

1. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

hi,

i live in the uk and have a telewest broadband 10 mbps (package with tv and phone). in order to share the connection with other computer i need a router.i m looking for a wired router which is reliable and easy to set up (i m not looking for a wireless one at all). can any one please give me the model no and make based on your experience with it.cheers...

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have a Safecom SBRU-10100 bought in a computer fair, priced at £18.

Works well, and was easy to set up. Comes with an amazing amount of extras as well, such as a SPI firewall, DDOS attack prevention and DMZ, plus the ability to block individual machines from accessing individual sites.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Got a Netgear DG834G here (wired and wireless, believe there is a wired only version). Great box - faultess.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

hi Jakamoko,

thanks for the reply.i have searched online and come across this one.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52754

it is a Netgear DG834 ADSL Firewall Router with 4 port 10/100 Switch.any ideas about this one? the reviews seem to be quite good though.i hope this is a good one. one more thing some of the routers listed on this site (ebuyer) seem to be able to function both as modem and router. so if i go for a modem and router together then i have to get rid of the modem provided by telewest. i m right? actually i know nothing about networking. please guide me.thanks again.

5. hbroomhall

No - you do *not* want an ADSL router. You need a cable router!

You cannot easily replace the cable modem, and cable routers don't include one anyway usualy.

Harry.

6. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

hi hbroomhall,

thanks for the reply. according to what i understand from your reply is that in order to keep my telewest broadband modem the only thing i need is a cable router not a combination of adsl router and modem right? so i should be buying only a cable router. and i should be getting one of these. please follow the link.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=1148

and it looks like that the one listed at the top (Safecom SBRU-10100) is the one that you had suggested to me earlier. since you have used this one with your telewest broadband, could you tell me if there is any software to be installed on both the pcs that i m going to connect to this router? and i hope that the set up is easy for an idiot like me. i appreciate your help and thanks a lot mate.

7. hbroomhall

Correct - you don't have ADSL - so you don't buy an ADSL modem!

Any of the routers on that page should be fine for you.

Harry.

8. hbroomhall

I don't actualy have a Telewest line - I bought this to have a router to mess about with!

There is no software to install unless you are going to be using the USB printer server. And you can do that later anyway. Just follow the instructions (if your eyes are as bad as mine you will need a magnifying glass!).

The included mini-CD has a fuller manual on it as well.

Harry.

9. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

Hi Harry,

Thanks,

you have been quite patient with me throughout. actually i just want to share it with my flat mate and that is all that has led me to this question and answer session with you. i was confused about the adsl and dsl stuff as never had any clear idea about it in the past. but now it looks like i would be able to do it on my own. if any problems, i will be taking your guidance again. thanks a lot my friend and carry on helping people like on this wonderful forum. cheers.