Which route to take

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by GoldCoast, Aug 9, 2007.

1. GoldCoast

GoldCoast New Member

Hello guys,

Really nice forum this is :thumbleft

I got a slight dilemma I hope you all can help me with.

Quick backgroud:
    I studied Information Technology in University and graduated last year. I've since gone on to work as a "Database Administrator", supporting a mid sized company. My official job title is a DBA but i'm more of 1st line support / "fix anything technical" guy. I quite enjoy my role but I struggle sometimes as with my educational background it was more web design/programming and project development. But since starting this job I've learning so much just researching on my own how to solve each problem as and when they pop up.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been seriously thinking of getting a certification to help me in my role and move my career onwards. I was initially looking at the MCSA and I will very much like to do that, however I'm thinking if I should start with a A+ before doing the MCSA and the Project / Security + later on. To be honest if i can pass the MCSA without the A+ I'll do it but I'm not sure if I have all the knowledge it will take to go straight into it.

Also do I save up go classes or self study. If I end up going that route I might need some advice on book/cd recoomendations.

In the future I'll like to be involved in some kind of IT project maangement role or IT analyst/consulting for companies. Will these certifications help towards that aim considering I graduated with a 1st class degree.

One thing I'm sure off is I dont want to go down the Cisco or software programming route.

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

once again..nice forum 8)

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCSA might be a little ways off for you. Here's Microsoft's recommendations for the MCSA:

NOT 6-12 months of IT experience... but 6-12 months of doing those tasks in a real-life business environment.

The A+ is certainly useful... but is usually for people breaking in to IT. Not much of it would relate to a DBA... but it's certainly helpful when performing PC troubleshooting. I guess it depends on the type of jobs you want to pursue. If you're looking to continue down the path of being a DBA, there are certainly certifications out there that relate to it.

Unfortunately, project management, IT analysis and consulting jobs are typically given to people with many years of IT experience... because those jobs absolutely require that you've "been there, done that". So you've probably got a while to wait before considering making that leap.

A degree and certifications will help set you apart from your competition with similar experience levels... but no amount of certifications and degrees will trump someone with years of experience.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hello mate, and welcome.

I'll recommend (as is standard on these forums) that you tackle both the A+ and then the Network+.

Once you've got the fundamentals sorted then you can make your own decisions.

It's no easy road, though.

Good luck! :thumbleft

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  4. GoldCoast

GoldCoast New Member

Hi guys,

thanks for the quick response, i really appreciate the advice.
    I am in no rush and i dont mind doing a+ as far as it builds towards what i want do achieve in the end.

so what books do you guys recommend?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For A+, almost everyone suggests the A+ All-in-One Study Guide by Mike Meyers, and for hands-on labs related to the A+, I wholeheartedly recommend PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Have a look around in the A+ section my man! :biggrin

The recommended book for A+ is the Mike Myers (looks over shoulder for spelling, sorry Mike!) Mike Meyers book, 6th Edition...

Admins & Mods: I've tried to include a cut/paste link to Amazon here, but am getting the double http://http:// that Mitzs seems to be experiencing. Even removing the first one doesn't seem to let the link work.

Cheers,

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

I agree with what the guys said here. For A+ and Network+ you can do it on your own self study and it will cost you less.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA