1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Qualifications?!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Muso, May 16, 2005.

1. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hello

Basically I have a degree in computing science and I really wanna work in Networking, sadly my degree was programming (oh well). I see theres millions of certificates these days and loads of training camps. Ive done technical support in a call centre (total nightmare) and I have generaly skills. Also I've just bought the A+ book which i plan to learn. I really hate studying as I spent most my life doing it and I really just wanna learn on the job but i dont know the knowledge in the first place. So if anyone can offer any advice or reccomend any legit training schools because most of them seems a bit dodge. I'm living in Nottinghsm if that helps.
    muchos gracias!! :D

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Muso. Welcome to CF. Can't help you with training school advice as I live in the US but I'd imagine that with your background, you'd be able to manage the A+ material with self study (sorry, but to learn anything, you can't get around studying). Most programmers I know at usually pretty competent at basic computer maintenence, repair and networking.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Welcome to CF.

I also have a BSc in Computing (Software engineering), however I found that getting a job in it was, lets just say hard... I know I've said this several time in other pages (starting to sound like a broken record, hehehe), but check out your local college's evening classes. Our local college teaches almost everything from A+ thru to MCSA. Cisco material to Microsoft material. If you want the basic's get the A+ & Network+, then decide where you want to go from there. I would say that from a recent poll the Network+ isn't as popular as before, however on the plus side both the A+ & N+ together is an elective for the MCSA.

Hope you find what your looking for.

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip