Which qualification/certification?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by XDA, May 28, 2008.

1. XDA

XDA Bit Poster

Hi All,

My background - I have been working in IT since I left school, so I have over 3 years IT Support experience. I work for for the NHS providing 2nd line support on both hardware and software. (calls are passed from 1st line/helpdesk to me, and I pass them to 3rd line if i cant resolve)

Aims - I am looking to move into a Field based/Field service role in the near future. My current position is mainly field based, but not as much as i would like to be due to outsourcing/internal politics :rolleyes: My day-to-day role includes hardware break fix/software faults/basic network faults etc etc.

Plan of action - I have applied for quite alot of Field based/Field service roles and have only had one interview where I was unsuccessfull. My only current IT qualifications are my SVQ/NVQ Level IT Users qualification and ECDL. Either my CV is poor, my age (21) or its my qualifications are the reasons why I am not getting anywhere? I am thinking of doing the CompTia A+ as self study and hope that improves my chances?

What qualifications would you recommend for someone trying to move from a desktop support background into a Field Service role? I am thinking A+ and maybe MCSA? What do you guys suggest? Input from Field Service engineers/ex-field service engineers would be great!

I can also put up my CV if someone would like to review it and see if its letting me down?

Cheers!

Certifications: IT NVQ Level 3, ECDL, HP APS (2009) and CompTIA A+
    WIP: Lenovo (Warranty repairs)
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

How many pages is your CV? Is it based on an MS Word Template? Do you have crap in there such as Aspirations, Hobbies or Extra-Curricular Avtivities? Have you got a bull$hit statement at the top of the 1st page?

Keep it short and sweet with bullet points, one sentance descriptions of your duties and a max of 2 pages! No need for references, what schools you went to...keep it work related. Ask yourself "If I was an employer what would I like to see on a CV" chances are that you'd want to see a CV that gets to the point i.e. a CV that clearly indicates - in time frame of seconds - what can this person do and what is this person capable of!

If you want a field based position then mould your CV to show that you know what Field based is all about, for instance working unsupervised, prioritising work to SLAs, using stuff like the Outlook calendar to plan out your day and keeping customers informed with info on the job status blah blah...

A+ is good, but don't get hung up on the "certification is the key" way of thinking. A lot of the time employers want someone who is good with people, can make a department look good and is willing to learn. The key is "confidence". I know plenty of useless field engineers so don't think you have to be cert-guru to get that type of work...usually a clean driving license is all that's required!

Good luck

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would keep the personal statement as many employers don’t have the time to read a whole CV.

Ditch the hobbies bit though. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A+, N+ first and probably MCDST.

Have a personal statement and ditch the hobbies etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Field service doing what? My first job was as a Field Service Tech, basically doing on-site desktop support and PC repair jobs. Doesn't sound too much different from what you're doing now, to be honest...

How much server experience do you have? Because that's what you need for the MCSA. If you don't yet have any, you should wait a bit before pursuing the MCSA. Besides, that's for server administration, not field service work.

The A+ and Network+ would help you towards your goal. If you were interested in getting a desktop support job where you might have a little more exposure to server administration, the MCDST would also be good for you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. drum_dude

Guys, a personal statement on a CV is just pants and takes up valuable space! If you want to make a statement then do it on a covering letter - after all that's what they're for!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  7. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

sounds like your in exactly the same position as me pal only i have server experience as well

ive been to about 6 or 7 interviews lately, with no success at any!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  8. XDA

XDA Bit Poster

Cheers for the feedback guys, much appreciated!

My CV is 2 pages long, and its not based on a template..I made up my own layout. I do have my hobbies on it, should I remove this? I also have a personal statement at the top - I think it's vital as every CV I have seen, all have a personal statement.

I have moulded my CV to suit a Field Service position, and have included similiar stuff that you have mentioned above.

The reason I am thinking of certifications, is because I have the 3 years experience..yet I never seem to end up with an interview? I totally understand what you mean, but I seem to be getting nowhere at the moment! Maybe certifications will make my application stand out from the others???

Field Service doing either desktop support or a Hardware role i.e. printer/hardware engineer. Yes, you are right - I am pretty much doing a field service role in my current position, but I am looking for a new job as I am sick to death of where I work now for various reasons. But I cant seem to get any interviews for any of the jobs I apply for..hence the reason I maybe need A+ to stand out from the others as I have the experience required anyway.

I have basic server experience, just the usual server admin stuff i.e. active directory, back-ups etc.

Yeah, It looks like A+ and Network+ are probably my first certificates to start working towards. MCDST would not be a problem because I have the books and have undergone the training for it...but never done the exams.

Yeah, I read your post a few weeks back. We are in exactly the same position, as I also have server experience too. What qualifications/certs do you have mate?

Certifications: IT NVQ Level 3, ECDL, HP APS (2009) and CompTIA A+
    WIP: Lenovo (Warranty repairs)
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

remember guys IT is very very competative I have had over 10 interviews and still dont work in IT full time, I am doing IT along side my current job part time.

But I am getting experience so when I feel I have had some good experience I willl apply for a more permanent roles elsewhere. But I am hoping I get taken on full time in the IT dept at work which would suit me better.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

Yeah, I read your post a few weeks back. We are in exactly the same position, as I also have server experience too. What qualifications/certs do you have mate?[/QUOTE]

NVQ Level 3 Business administration
    E.C.D.L
    IT Practicioners cert

I too have also looked at MCDST, read through the books and found that i knew most of it from experience, just cant afford the exams at the moment

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  11. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I disagree, including a professional profile and objective on my CV has resulted in a lot more interest from potential employers. People browsing your CV on a jobsite isn't going to see a cover letter.

12. drum_dude

I disagree, personal statement, objective or whatever is a load of pants and takes up valuable space on a CV - valuable space that should be taken up with what one has done and acheived in previous roles!

As your signature states "make every word count" - hardly acheived with crystal ball type objectives and useless statements.

13. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I think most professional HR people would disagree, but whatever gets you results, eh?

14. drum_dude

Most professional HR people would most likely look for a covering letter.

15. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

If the CV is posted on a jobsite they're not going to find a covering letter.

16. BosonMichael

I do not include hobbies on my resume. When I review resumes from candidates, I could care less that you play soccer or go scuba diving in your free time... I want to know whether you can do the job. You could do nothing but eat and sleep all night and all weekend long for all I care, as long as you are the best candidate for the job! :)

I don't include a personal statement. I'll sometimes list a Job Target at the top that specifies what position I am applying for so there's no confusion to the hiring manager or the IT director. For example:

JOB TARGET
    Senior Network Engineer

Remember, words are at a premium. You have to get their attention within a few seconds. Use those words wisely.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  17. BosonMichael

Actually, most professional HR people will tell you to get rid of the personal statement. Sure, they're not going to find a cover letter on CVs posted on job sites... but the personal statement does not indicate anything about whether you can do the job. Dude, that's what's important... I'm telling you as someone who has reviewed resumes to recommend people for IT positions.

18. drum_dude

Obviously you're not familiar with job websites in general - there is a section where you can write a personal statement! That part of your profile is open for ALL recruiters to see! Also, most have a section for covering letters too! To do it on a CV is waste of words and - as I've said time and time again - a waste of space.

As with all IT jobs I've had where I've helped in reviewing CVs, peoples CVs are usually ditched due personal statements that are poorly written, expose terrible grammer, are pretentious, not relevent and/or are simply copied from the Internet!

19. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

There is one reason you may not be getting any interviews for field service work is your age. We have just taken on someone new and the boss stated in the advert no one under 25 as we can't insure them to drive the company cars.

I also know of other company's who have the same policy on young drivers, it just cost far to much to insure them.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  20. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

age discrimination

??????