Which programming is most widely used?

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by mickaveli2001, Aug 7, 2008.

1. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

I am thinking of doing programming after my A+ but I want to learn something, which doesn't limit my experience of learning to just one application. What is most widely used and most suitable to learn for this purpose? I was thinking of starting of with VB from what I've heard of 'being easy' to learn initially for a newbie before setting out on harder ground

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Apparently those that know C# tend to be able to learn or adapt quickly to other programming languages.

Java is also another one you can look into as well, but really depend if you want to become a programming in the near future career wise. Best wishes of whichever you decide to go for:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I studied Java and C at University and I found Java quite easy to pick up once I knew the basics.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My first languages were Ada and COBOL at college, followed by SQL, C, C++, 680x0, 80x86, Smalltalk, Fortran, Prolog, Forte/TOOL, XSLT, Java, Javascript, C#, Groovy...

The point is its really not that big a deal what your 'FIRST' language is as long as its not your last :wink:

I would generally advise a general purpose language with support for procedural, object orientated and functional programming.

5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

There is not really any such thing as 'the most widely used language'. You should be asking yourself what the most widely used languages are for the systems that I wish to develop. Nowadays, no matter if it be games or business apps, you will most likely be required to familiarise yourself with more than one langauge.

It is important to know that when you are learning to program you are actually learning the theory behind the practice of programming. In selecting a language you should find one that presents these principles most clearly to you. You will know if it is the right language because you will be making progress as you go along, with tasks getting easier as you begin to understand how to solve them. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

It makes sense I guess. My interests would be behind applications rather than gaming. I'ver been looking at the Dummies All in one guide reference for C programming. I think I'll use that as a start off after the A+ is out of the way

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  7. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Looks like a sound choice of book. Hope it all goes well! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  8. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

When people ask about what programming languages to learn.......no one ever mentions Actionscript!
    When you look how widely the flash player is used and how powerful it's getting...i would highly suggest learning Actionscript 3.0!!!

You don't need to be a great artist to work in flash either and there's always flex builder you can use (which i hear is becoming more popular and in demand in London). Also you only need to do a job search to see that there's plenty of work out there for Actionscripters for both contractors and permanent positions. And also, when you look at other programming languages such as C#, they seem to be somewhat similar (which is why i am learning C# now).

I haven't delved to deeply into C#, so i don't know what there is to offer, but i know with flash and Actionscript, you have a choice of creating such things as games, web sites, cartoons and then there's Papervision 3D, After Effects and the new kid on the block....Adobe AIR!

So, AS3 would be my choice and then C#!!!!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  9. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

In my opinion the choiche of a language depends on what you are going to do with it. If your plan is to make websites, Java and HTML or XML may be a good choice. If you are going to develope drivers or OSes C or C++ is a better choice or even assembler. For databases SQL is good.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

like whats been said, look at what you want to do.

I learned C++ and COBOL at Uni.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I went with VBA(Access), ADO, VB.NET and SQL. I only really do little programs that help in the office environment, I started with VBA(Access) as I found it the most enjoyable and seen results from the get go.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)