Which (PC) game defined your youth?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Arroryn, Jul 14, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OMFG

We used to do all that with sensible soccer. I loved the way you could control the aftertouch on the ball. We spent many hours on that and it was so competitive , oohh the days

BTW SimonV, you can get sensible soccer from argos in a mini megadrive looking thing, it comes with 2 other games and costs 20 quid. Since being at Uni it has provided endless hours of fun. It was also brought out on ps2 but they ****ed it up

Id love to see the same gameplay with slightly smoother graphics and with all the songs of certain teams, plus post match interviews etc , the works just so you could have more banter with your mates etc

Ed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. pingo0000

pingo0000 Bit Poster

Commodore 128:

Death Knights of Krynn (definitely made me switch to RPG games)
    Boulder dash

PC:

Civilization 2 (the best game in the series)
    Heroes of Might and Magic (2 & 3)

That would be enough for now :)

Certifications: Network+
    WIP: MCDST, CCNA
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No video game defined my youth...probably because they didn't exist. :tongue

Actually, "pong" popped into my head when I first read this thread's title only because it was the first video game I became aware of (and as far as I know...it was the first video game, period).

I've taken a stab at them a time or two, but I don't find them entertaining.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have the RSI legacy to prove it ... :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I was in my twenties when I started with computers (1981). Not my youth anymore but heee.
    My favorites where the more puzzle oriented games like lemmings. Also kings quest and space quest where on my list.
    Later on Larry, The Incredible Machine and at the moment freecell (trying to play all 32000 of them; now at 15900).

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I was part of the Spectrum generation

Skool Daze
    Manic Miner
    Spellbound
    The Great Escape

Kept me out of the sun for ages

Only got my first PC 6 years ago, first games I bought were Blood 2, Commandos and Max Payne, the shape of things to come.....

However, have over a GB of Abandonware now so catching up, just completed Betrayal at Krondor and X-Com and now deciding what to do next

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Big fan of the Spectrum, I've still got an emulator on my PC now.

Originally Hungry Horace, Alien 8, Nightlore etc - you know, all the ones that looked the same.

Then ZX128 which did bring some good stuff along, Batman, Head over Heals, Lost World.

First PC game was an early version of Civilization. Didn't have home PCs back then but I had it on the PC in my office in my first job.

It totally ruled my lunch breaks and I was even known to go in on weekends to play it. The boss thought I was really keen...

Civ 3 is still one of my favorites today.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Heh - sooo tempted to say something here....but better leave it :twisted:

Was such an addictive game though - really did depend on the speed at which you were pressing the buttons - not too slow, but not too fast... Clay pigeon was the best (was that part of track n field, or something else?.....getting old....)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

One of my first favorite PC games (not Amiga, C64, and other older computers.) was Master of Magic, back in '94. Got to where I could beat it on the hardest difficulty. I still have it, both on floppy and on CD, along with the HUGE strategy guide. Every three years or so, I dust it off and give it a go.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!