Which path to take?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Waqas Ahmed, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

So my boss wants to put me on some training. The examples he's given to me are:

• Security
    • Wireless
    • Service Provider (SP)
    • Extreme Switches
    No DC in there :D But any how, I was wondering how to go about this?

Security (assuming firewalls and the like) would perhaps be useful at any company, and would perhaps be useful for the future, because the world is more and more concerned about security, than say..general networks

Wireless sounds great and all, but it also seems "too easy" ? Especially with the high end Meraki kit!

Service provider sounds like you get to work on some of the really awesome pieces of kit, however from a future self development POV, I may or may not want to work for a SP any longer?

All I know about extreme switches is that they are damn good switches. IIRC, the salary for all these certifications is sorta the same too

Any advice guise?

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  2. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

The + side of the SP certification though would be that less people have this cert? So more monies?

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  3. FM-GM

FM-GM New Member

what level are you looking at takings these certifications to? CCNA or CCNP?

CCNA Wireless and Security requires you to obtain the CCENT certification first, exam code 100-101 (ICND 1). It would be good to get CCNA Routing & Switching first as this will give you a good understanding. Once you have your CCENT its just 1 exam extra for the CCNA R&S, 200-101 ICND 2.

The service provider certification probably isn't worth taking unless you work for a service provider.

Certifications: CCNP R&S
  4. Subnet Ninja

Subnet Ninja New Member

The SP is not just for Service Provider workers you will get more tool and understanding of larger networks

5. Ben1999

Ben1999 New Member

I would go for Security. It's essential to any network and gets a lot of attention in the industry. Everyone wants to know that their network is secure and that their assets are protected.

6. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Personally I'd say Security without a doubt.

Such a hot area and can't see it cooling down massively, I know many companies are struggling to get enough security people, plus some very good money to be made!