1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which path to take?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mcrilly, Jan 16, 2011.

1. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Evening,

I need some advice on which path to take; Linux or MS Windows?

I love Linux, but I also like what you can achieve through a Windows Server infrastructure as well. My main love is networking, and I'm especially interested in the Cisco line with regards to networking. At present I have work covering my CCNA for me and in the long run, I want to be a network engineer, both Cisco and perhaps another vender like Juniper.

The only thing that is biting at me is whether or not to back this networking knowledge up with a Linux based knowledge-base, or a Windows Server based knowledge-base.

What do you guys think is more desirable at the moment? Which of the two do you think will have greater use in the longer run? I personally think Linux will move more and more into the Enterprise market and will soon hold quite a market share, but by not taking the MS route, I am potentially cutting my self off from a lot of jobs.

Help!

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

A large number of networking devices use Linux, or a similar OS to run the devices. At the very least, those which require command line usage will be closer to a Linux shell than the CMD Prompt of Windows.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Why not back it up with both? I personally run 2 boxes one with Windows 7 professional and the other with Arch Linux.

As for being more desirable, well a quick look at IT recruitment sites will show you MS experience/Certification is beyond a shadow of a doubt more in demand than Linux. The latter is certainly growing but don't expect any rapid changes. As for the Enterprise, You will continue to see more Linux/Unix based servers but as far as Enterprise Desktop's go, again I foresee no rapid change. We know Linux now dominates the Webserver market but when we look at non-public accessible servers, Microsoft dominate the arena.

You have to plan for the now because if you are waiting for a sharp change in market share you could be waiting forever. Windows 7 is the fastest growing OS ever and Enterprise uptake predictions are very good. So just take your time and learn both is my advice.

4. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Linux as well as Windows have their own pros and cons. I won't be partial so i will say that u need experience of both. Most networks are server 2003 based (yeah i know supercomputers are running their own version of linux :) ) but just talking broadly.

Also, doing both enhances your employability even further, no doubt it takes time.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  5. bamboo

bamboo Bit Poster

I won't mind to learn both .. :)

Certifications: Nil
    WIP: MCSA, CCENT (ICND 1)
  6. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Techs who know both.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

I think I have a workable plan.

I'm going to study for my CCNA, then my Linux+/LPIC1 (I haven't decided which yet), then an MCITP Server 2008 Administrator. I'll do this as a Round Robin, going around improving each certificate to the next one up as I go along. So the next iteration would be a CCNP, then the LPIC2/3 and then whatever is above the MCITP, etc.

Sound good?

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  8. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you have experience with all three, then yes.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!