Which path to take?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by accousticrocker, Nov 5, 2008.

1. accousticrocker

accousticrocker New Member

Hey all!

I hope this is the right forum!

Just wanted to ask a quick question regarding the best path to take on certifcation. Worked on 1st line for 2 years and desktop support for 2 years. I hold an MCDST and comptia a+ but now want to come out of this support or go into more server support.

I am keen on networks but I am not sure what step to take next to get out of support. I have the network + book infront of me but I'm wondering if my time is better spent doing exams for the MCSA for job employers.

I know the current state of jobs is bad and I would try and stay put, but with this current state I might be getting made redundant soon so have to kick myself into gear.

Thanks!

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend that you get the Network+ instead of the MCSA. The MCSA is recommended for people who have at least six months of server administration experience in a multi-server environment.

What I would recommend is to make a lateral move to another desktop support job, but one where you are allowed (and encouraged) to assist and learn from the server admins on staff, thereby giving you an opportunity to gain that six months of server experience. The MCSA will then be a lot more understandable to you, and you can put that knowledge in the proper perspective. Plus, you may even get to put that knowledge to good use even before you get the cert!

Best of luck to you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. accousticrocker

accousticrocker New Member

hey BosonMichael,

Thanks for the reply!

I thought the network + might have been the next one to be honest as I think I really need to cover all the basics I guess.

If I don't manage to get another role with desktop support that has more involvement with servers would you suggest another cert to do instead of the mcsa?

cheers!

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome to CF

The basic certs to get before proper experience is requite are the A+, N+ and MCDST go for the N+ anyway then look at your options.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not really. Certifications are designed to show what you can already do, not what you want to be doing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I also would get the Network+ over and done with at this point, as it will count towards your MCSA when you are ready to do the exams.

Also I would get one (or both) of the client elective exams either the Vista (70-620), or XP (70-290) (Id recommend XP first) exam out of the way as well, once you have done this (these) then you will only have 290 and 291 to do when you have commercial experience.

What I would also say, is when you finish these exams, there is no harm in using the 70-290 and 70-291 books to increase your knowledge of the server and network systems, and also you can get practicing at home with a VMWare lab.

Then use these skills at work and get noticed

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

You like Networks but would you like to administer Networks or actually install and upgrade them?

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+