which OS for new build project

Discussion in 'A+' started by fastrhino, Oct 29, 2005.

1. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

I am planning a new build pc which is part of my learning curve, i was advised to give some thought to the os i choose, i will be stting up a home network and using it is the server on the network along with 2 clients and shared internet and printer etc.

would it be usefull to get xp pro or should i stick to xp home?

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Why not server 2003?

You can get evaluation versions for nothing.

8)

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you are wanting to get into IT I wouldn't go with xp home. I'd make sure I had enough disk space and partitions when I installed it too so that when I was ready I could dual boot to Linux.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

so what you saying, go for xp pro 64 bit OEM and set aside space to have an additional O/S so i can switch from one to the other when i need. i think i understand, do i?

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

It is useful to have partitions set aside for different Operating systems yes.

As far as the A+ is concerned i would recommend 98, 2000 and XP

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

for learning purposes i'd go as far back as patience allows. so try 98 then work towards more recent os's, or follow my penguins advice.......or else! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
  7. ffreeloader

Depending on the size of hard drive you get, I'd have partitions for several OS's, to store work and projects you want to keep, etc....

I'd make at least a half dozen partitions for OS's. I'd have them for desktop and server OS's, and Linux. Then I'd have a partition or two set aside for saving documents, links, white papers, all the study stuff you come across and find worth saving, your email folders, etc... because no matter what the OS you use for your daily use it's going to get screwed up and installed several times as you start playing with it and seeing what all you can do. This way when it won't boot because something is screwed up all you have to do is reinstall and not worry about everything you have saved. Or, get an external drive and save everything to it.

Whatever you do set aside at least a couple of partitions for storage and backup. Most of my physical hard drives, depending on size of course, have 5 or 6 partitions each, and I have a couple of physical drives in each machine. That way nothing is really lost when I rebuild my systems and/or domains.

8. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

when you refer to 98, 2000, etc, are you talking about the pro versions i asume you are, i am going to install xp pro initially and then i will add more O/S software as i need it. i dare say you will be hearing a lot more from me over the next few months so i hope you are a patient lot.

first i need to build my primary desktop system, going for a intel p4 on a 955 intel chipset mainboard with 2 512 mb pc5300 ram modules. 2 sata hard disks one 160gig and one 80gig as a back up, 128mg graphics card, dvd rw . i am hoping to start the build next week, and have the system up and running within a day. may have to get some advice along the way. will i find help on here if i need it.

9. ffreeloader

Nope. Once we get you started here we throw you to the wolves.... :twisted:

Just kidding....

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Take a look at this. It will help you understand what we mean when we refer to different versions of Windows.

8)

11. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hahah....... no but seriously [​IMG]

Certifications: ECDL
  12. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

nice stuffed wolf,,,,,,,,,,

had a look at the windows history, so i guess the pro versions are nt, nt workstation, 2000 and xp pro. 95, 98, the ill favoured ME and xp are home versions.

so will i have to but loads of software too, the software is scary, it will be expensive to buy all these diferent versions of windows.

13. ffreeloader

You can probably find copies of the old MS OS's around for very cheap, and the current ones you should be able to find evaluation copies of. You just have to install them every 3 months or so because they are time limited. When I took my A+ we had to know DOS too. I had partitions with DOS, 98, NT 4 SP5, Win2K Pro, XP, and Win2K Server. I once had a 95 partition too, but when I installed 98 it just upgraded the 95 install.