which of two ARE better

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by NETWORKMANIAC, Aug 16, 2008.

1. NETWORKMANIAC

NETWORKMANIAC New Member

which of the two courses offered by cisco are better for CCNA?

DISCOVERY
    EXPLORATION

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

NETWORKMANIAC,

Do you have a technical or non-technical background?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Whilst the two may experience some overlap in content, the Discovery is aimed at techs new to networking, whilst the exploration is aimed at those new to Cisco, but with a developed technical background.

Remember that the CCNA in essence is part of Cisco's entry level route into networking.

If you're already having issues with concepts such as subnetting (as I saw from anothe thread) then I would seriously consider taking your CompTIA N+ first. This is a vendor-neutral certification, that covers basic networking topics in good depths, and would prepare you well for the CCNA.

There is also the fact that, if you have no prior experience with working in the IT industry, getting a CCNA would be a moot point. There are very few companies that would even consider the CCNA to be a worthwhile cert for an entry level tech, and you certainly wouldn't be let anywhere near their routers.

If you are looking to enter the industry in a hands-on role, then I would browse these forums and seriously consider the advice of taking the well-worn route from A+ to N+ to MCDST, and then consider taking on board more complex certifications.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

What Arroryn said... 8)

5. NETWORKMANIAC

NETWORKMANIAC New Member

it is not at all like that buddy,am actually workin with a reputed it company,and wanna polish my skills but i dont have that much amount of time to go through each and every topic in deep....................thats why i posted a thread here.....................................BY THE WAY THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as far as subnettin is concerned plz answer that question in detail..................with a chart mentioning everything...........................

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

<cringe!>

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. BosonMichael

Entire chapters (and even books!) are written about subnetting. Do you expect everything you're supposed to know about subnetting (and supernetting!) to fit on a chart? Sorry, man, but if you need a subnetting chart, you are absolutely not ready for the CCNA.

I'll put it this way: people who can subnet in their heads sometimes have trouble finishing the exam in the alloted amount of time.

With the exception of the entry-level comment, Arroryn is exactly right. You'd do well to listen to the advice that people give on these forums.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Arroryn,

Actually, both CCNA Exploration and CCNA Discovery material overlap each other completely because both curriculums eventually lead to training towards the 640-802 CCNA exam. The difference is the format of material presentation. The purpose of my previous question to NETWORKMANIAC earlier of "Do you have a technical or non-technical background?" was to determine which curriculum is more appropriate.

For those with a technical background, the CCNA Exploration curriculum is appropriate. Technical backgrounds include either current technical experience or future technical background because the Cisco Networking Academy is taught at both the High School level and College/University level. So academically it means those in pre-engineering/science classes in High School, those in Engineering, Computer Science, or other similar technical majors in College/University. The CCNA Exploration curriculum is appropriate for those with a technical background because the courses within the curriculum are based on technologies, such as network fundamentals, routing, switching, WAN, etc. The reason why the technical background is important is because math intensive thinking is used in the first course of network fundamentals, such as subnetting which requres understanding of both the decimal and binary number systems.

For those with a non-technical background, the CCNA Discovery curriculum is appropriate. Non-technical backgrounds include College/University majors such as Business Administration, Management Information Systems, or other non-technical majors. The CCNA Discovery curriculum is appropriate for those with a non-technical background because the courses within the curriculum are based on organizational size scope such as networking for home and small businesses, working at a Small-to-Medium Business or ISP, Introducing routing and switching in the enterprise, and designing and supporting computer networks. However, as previously mentioned, the CCNA Discovery curriculum covers the same material as the CCNA Exploration curriculum so eventually a CCNA Discovery curriculum student will have to eventually face network math such as decimal to binary conversions and vice versa for subnetting.

I'd like to reiterate that ALL of the 640-802 CCNA material is contained in EITHER CCNA Exploration curriclum OR CCNA Discovery curriclum so the statement "...two may experience some overlap in content..." is inaccurate.

10. Arroryn

I did say in essence :)

Explained more fully - in essence it's Cisco's version of entry level. In much as that the CCENT (as the first step of the CCNA) is 'Cisco's' first cert.

If you want entry level networking certification, like I said, take the N+ (damn flameforker)

So... you want to *polish* your *skills* but you can't subnet. So, are you the teaboy, or are you honestly trying to work your way up from First Line? Either way, you're not going about it particularly well ATM.

No. If you don't have the time and inclination to be polite, I can't see why I'd even bother scrubbing the recesses of my memory to create a subnetting chart, just to complement your obviously finely honed skills.

11. Arroryn

Thanks for the clarification, Lee. I'd (wrongly) assumed that one taking an approach of you having a more technical background was perhaps less milked down.

I am, of course, on the 'Discovery' one of those :oops: :biggrin

12. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

BosonMichael,

Cut the gal some slack. Within the scope of Cisco Certifications, before the creation of the 640-822 ICND1 exam that led to the CCENT certificate, the CCNA was the entry level certificate within the Cisco Career Certifications. Also remember that once upon a time, the only Career Certification that Cisco used to have was the CCIE. So the CCNP and CCNA are both "watered down CCIE" certifications.

13. BosonMichael

I disagree. It's not entry-level anything. Sorry, Arro, it's a horrible choice of words. True entry-level folks see your wording, and they think, "Ah, that's an entry-level certification, and I want to enter the networking field; thus, I should pursue the CCNA". When in fact, that's a bad career decision.

In any case, how can the CCNA be "entry-level" if the CCENT is the "first cert"? :rolleyes: (dang hippie...)

14. BosonMichael

I really wish you guys would find a better choice of words than "entry level". :dry

15. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Um....."easy level"?

I kid, I kid. :p

I totally agree with BosonMichael; CCNA is not an entry level qualficiation. It is possible to get it having no background in networking but focusing solely on it is a bad idea with no experience.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I have the CCNA but even I don't list it on my CV due to no experience with cisco kit. Employers just wouldn't take me seriously.

IMHO Go for the Network+ instead.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  16. Arroryn

I know, I know, it's Cisco's entry level cert... I know 'entry level' is a bad turn of phrase to use with the CCNA. Trying to study the material for the exam makes my head hurt. But 'introductory' is also a bad phrase to use. I can't think of a word to use for it! How embarassing.

Oh, agreed. Let's just say *that* one is entry level, and n'er the twain shall meet...

17. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

How about "annoying"? :p

Well... there's always the CCENT... but hey, fuel to the fire. :biggrin :p

Happy to see you're going for the N+. :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  18. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

CCENT is aimed at people who want to run small networks, ie 1 or 2 switches and a router

CCNA is aimed at people who want to run medium size buisness with multiple switches and routers.

Id imagine CCNP is more along the lines of dedicated network professionals who design networks, and get some consultancy work for some extra cash,

CCIE is like Deity status, but only better at networking ;)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Excuse me?

The last time I looked, nobody here works for you, so we don't have to ask "How high?" just because you say "jump". I don't know who you think you are, but if you are going to ask for help on this forum (or anywhere else in life), try being less demanding. So far, your attitude has qualified you for the emotional maturity level of a three-year old.

If you don't like the responses you're getting here, I suggest you go elsewhere. If you plan on sticking around, I suggest that your next post contain an apology. Anything else you'd like to discuss relative to my comments you can communicate via PM.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  20. Arroryn

Hey hey hey, I have the N+ I'm going for CCENT at a very... slow... rate... of... knots... (doing MCDST first)