Which mobile?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rax, May 24, 2008.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I've just finished with my o2 contract and am looking to get a new phone. I was mainly thinking about some sort of touch screen phone with windows mobile on it, for windows messenger and outlook etc.

I went into Phones4u today and the guy was trying to advise some Blackberry Curve but I wasn't overly sure about it. I was quite interested in the o2 XDA Orbit 2 but even then, I'm not really sure..

I also liked the look of the Sony Ericsson X1 but I don't know if it will support messenger..

Anyone got any suggestions?

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you could have my sony erricson k510i for £12 :D that website that offers money for phones offered me £3.25 :D

I would go for the new sony erricson one they look good.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Through personal choice I'd go for the blackberry curve 8300 as it has inbuilt gps for TomTom navigation and fews and looks sturdy:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Currently got the k800i GBL :p Thing with the x1 is that it doesn't mention whether or not you can use messenger with it :s

Well onoski, I can't drive so I don't think Sat Nav would be a selling point for me atm :cry:

I'm kinda looking for advise on a good phone that has messenger functionality and a good internet deal :o

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

my mate uses msn on his k800i I doubt they would have stopped using it since the last model.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hmm, I really need to get up to date with mobiles :S

7. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I've been using blackberry devices on and off for the past few years. Several months ago I upgraded to the new Blackberry Curve and I really couldn't go back to anything else. The buttons look small but if my sausage fingers can type on it anyone can.

It's great, now I even get my spam on the go :D

8. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Just back from phones 4 u, was in the shop for 3 hours :(

Got myself the nokia n95 8gb, still charing, but looking forward to have a play about with it later tonight.

If i could afford an iphone, i would have got one, but unfortunately not at the moment, i hear the 3g iphone is going to be unveiled on the 9th of next month. Would love one of them.

The guys at the work use blackberry, really smart, like the way work with the exchange server at the work, hopefully i will get one from them soon, only been in there a couple of weeks, so its more hoping than expecting.

WIP: LIFE
  9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

10. chrisduggan

chrisduggan Bit Poster

i-Mate Ultimate 9502 is a cracker. 3mp camera, Microsoft mobile if your a fan. Wifi etc etc.
    No need for a laptop with this one. A real work horse.

Certifications: A+
  11. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

If you can hold on for 3-4 weeks then the HTC Diamond is coming out and looks really good.

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have been thinking of getting a new mobile myself...but choosing one is the problem. A few months ago O2 had the N82 on their site available but now its gone. The only reason I wanted that phone was cos of its 5MP camera...now I think I will have to opt for the N95 8GB version...which is a bit big for me...but I guess since I do a lot videos I need something that will give me some decent clarity...

My current contract runs out in about a months or so time so I need to get moving soon...otherwise I have no idea what I will get...unless something better does come along...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Have had an N95 8Gb for about a month now, put Garmin on it, Wi-Fis great. The nuts!! Debranded it.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The Palm Treo 750 ships with Windows Mobile 6.

I have one for work. Whilst the battery life for AN User is short, it can be techy-tweaked to improve performance. It has MSN, and if you can find the right promotion a lot of them were coming with TomTom free.

It has a full sized QWERTY keyboard and as such, ranks as one of the easiest to use PDAs I've had yet. However, the sensitivity of some of the buttons - namely L, M, A, Z and peripheral symbols - means you should really double check any emails you right to make sure you don't appear to have the writing capabilities of a nine year old.

We're currently migrating to Blackberrys, the choice being between the Curve and the Pearl. I'm trying to hang on to my Treo for as long as I can.

I have a contract renewal coming up. Let me know how you get on with the Nokia.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. Gopher

Gopher Bit Poster

I have been a Nokia fan for a while and I have have a collection of phones; N95, 8800, E65, N70 and E51 and had some Sony ones. All of which have been ok and served a purpose but they all did the bare minimum.

Now I have a Blackberry Pearl 8120 which is really good seems to have all of the features I could possibly want and it seams to be a good compromise if, like me you don't really want a large smart phone.

Hope this helps!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA & MCTS SQL 2005
    WIP: MCITP 70-443 & 70-444