Which mike meyers book?

Discussion in 'A+' started by quackers, Oct 2, 2004.

1. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Ive heard you all say get the meyers book for the a+, but which one? I went to the bookshop today and there was two [​IMG]

A+ all in one i think, which was about 45 quid and the a+ certification passport which was 20 quid.

Help!! [​IMG]

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm sure the A+ all-in-one is the one your after quackers, but I'm not entirely sure of the difference (apart from ~£20), as I have never seen the passport book.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Well 20 pound in money and about 20 pound in weight [​IMG]

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

lol - Looks like you've just answered your own question there, quackers, as the proper Meyers A+ tome aint no pamphlet :blink

:biggrin

5. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

and heres me thinking i get the book on the cheap :)

So its worth picking the book up?

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Quackers

I think that if you follow the link on the front page of the forum and search for A+ you will find the books on Amazon. Using this link will generate a bit of income for the site.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

A long as you actually can, then do. You won't regret it !!!

8. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

I'm currently studying from the Mike Meyers A+ all in one book, and I have to say it is excellent. Well worth the dosh!

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  9. christof

christof Nibble Poster

Just been in waterstones this afternoon reading it, I'm going to start working through it.

A word of advise, it's £40 in waterstones. Checked on amazon when I got back and it's around £25-28 I think, so I'm ordering it from there.

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Don't forget to check on the publication dates. Flex told me his MM al in one only covers Win2000 and not a word about XP whereas my MM certification passport (2nd ed.) covers all of it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. christof

christof Nibble Poster

The one I was reading was the 5th edition, and does cover XP, same as one on amazon.

Although it is only based on 2003 information. I don't know whether a newer 6th edition is in the pipeline, which may be covers 2004 test information.

12. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

ive just had a quick look on amazon and its 28 quid :) Much better than 45 in waterstones

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Man I love that shop.Don't think I've ever been into town without nipping into waterstones at some point lol.Could spend days in there looking around.
    The IT books are expensive though, so I'd never buy them from there.

I've just purchased the exam cram book to complement my Mike Myers book.
    I feel that the Mike Meyers book isn't very good for last minute revision because of the size of the book, and you can't really carry it around with you easily.
    I bought the exam cram 2 book because it's more up to date, and I feel that I need something I can carry around (take into work, leave on my desk inconspicuously) when I just want to reference raw facts and objectives.

I'd recommend that you purchase this book also.

14. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  15. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I met a guy in waterstones while I was looking at the Mike Meyers book, and he recommended the exam cram book, and the compTIA book over the Mike Meyers. I got chatting with him, and found out that he'd done the A+, NET+, and cisco course by using just the work books, and sample tests.

He even showed my the little laminated card you get from cisco when you pass the course to prove you are certified.....or certifiable!!!!:D

Does anyone have any experience with these other books?

16. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

how much is the cram book?

17. christof

christof Nibble Poster

18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I saw a PC Reference Book at PC World the other day for A+ it was quite small and seemed like an ideal book to get but then I looked thru it and thought maybe I dont really need it as I have my 900 page A+ book I can sift thru if and when I need to...but I was thinking maybe it would be agood idea to get it...what do you guys think?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  19. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I think you should get it.
    Why?
    Well see the reasons I gave in my previous post in this thread for purchasing the cram book.

I should be getting my cram book tomorrow.Can't wait:!: :biggrin

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Also, a small(ish) reference book is invaluable, and preferable to lugging the "tome" around jobs. Handy addition to any toolkit.

...says Gav with the 215 Server and CCNA books next to my desk at work...:oops: