Which Microsft cert. will compliment my CCNA

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by djw4723, Jul 14, 2010.

1. djw4723

djw4723 New Member

I currently work in an I T lab environment configuring cisco equiptment. I am considering trying to obtain an MCSE or MCSA in an attempt to become much more well rounded in regards to my skillset. It also could lead to a move up the ladder within my company. Is there a specific Microsoft cert. that would really compliment my CCNA? Thanks.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The MCSA\MCSE each require between 12 - 18 months experience with the technologies tested (2003 or 2008).
    I would perhaps look at the A+ and N+ exams alongside with the MCDST (Desktop Support Technician), I have to advise you though that generally speaking MS and Cisco certs doen't generally go hand in hand, you're either an MS guy or a Cisco guy, it's quite rare to find a role where you will do both (obviously in the smaller 1\2 man shops you will be the jack of all trades but I wouldn't expect that a larger company to have that luxury).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would tend to go for the MCSA and then you could always do the remaining exams to bump it up to an MCSE if you wanted. The other route which might be better is to do some MCTS's as they are more specific to the tech you want to learn and in my opinion are better for this reason.

I personally wouldn't go for the A+ and Network+ unless your just starting out in IT but thats just my opinion.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What do you mean by lab type environment ? Don't you get to touch any in use equipment ?

I'd have thought N+ was pretty redundant for someone with CCNA.

5. djw4723

djw4723 New Member

Quite the opposite dmarsh. I touch just about everything from a little 881 router up to Nexus 7018's. In our lab we have a desktop/laptop side, server side, and a network side ( where I head up that team). But in order to make a move out of the lab and up the ladder I'll need more than my CCNA. The NP is certainly an option but in my company it seems that the career path for those strong with Microsoft certs as well as those with cisco certs have been getting the nod.

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

From that then you would be wasting your time with CompTIA certs or doing the MCDST. I would depending on what server OS's your company uses stick to that path so for 2003 go for MCSA/MCSE or 2008 go for MCITP. Again I also like the MCTS certs for the reason I stated before.

You could also consider doing something like Citrix or VMware VCP as well.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. RandyFears

RandyFears Bit Poster

I slightly disagree with the fact that you are either a cisco or microsoft guy these days. Currently, you see more and more job wish lists with both microsoft and cisco with linux, voip and probably wireless thrown in as well. Just have a look at jobsite etc for these crazy wish lists, although it might be a geographical thing also as i am out in the sticks a bit rather than in a very big city. 10 years ago it was the case where you could really go into either Cisco or Microsoft but now people just seem to want much more for much less! In my place of work it is quite a bit bigger than a 1/2 man band and we pretty much cover everything from EPOS/IPOS to Router/Server side and a fair bit of wireless. All good experience for the next move.

I found CCNA to be a tough course (i had no network knowledge prior to studying it) and i found MCSA/MCSE easier. I don't know if that was because of studying the CCNA first or not to be honest. As advised above, i would stay away from CompTIA certs such as the N+ as you already have the CCNA and it would prove to be just a waste of time and money as you already have the CCNA which is the next level anyway. Again as advised above the MCSA is a good route. You then have a good foundation for building on if you wish and it does not take too long to certify if you put in the time and effort.

Many companies will still remain with 2003 for a few years yet so still a good investment and it also covers your options if you decide to move on and work somewhere else or advance to the more current certs.

Certifications: never enough
    WIP: so many and so little time