1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Linux for networking?

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by kai, May 17, 2010.

1. kai

kai Bit Poster

I am almost at the end of my network+ exam, and currently doing command line stuff. I have a spare computer which im planning on putting Linux on, but im not sure which version of Linux to use.

Is there a version of Linux that is mostly use in a network environment over anything else?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. This will be the first time using any form of Linux. I dont know why but im pretty excited about it :D

Kai.

2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I just stick to what I know and thats CentOS which is RHL based, not sure if its the best one for the job but I like it and run all sorts off the back of it.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

In studying for the Net+ I just used Ubuntu installed on Virtual PC. I don't really recall there being much in the objectives beyond the basic commands like Ifconfig, mtr etc. I am interested in hearing more opinions on what distribution others would recommend for learning some more of the linux basics.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

As far as I know at command line most Linux environments are the same, There are a couple of differences with commands but nothing major. Just check to see what shell your version of linux is running and then google a cheat sheet or summin for that shell. Most commands are the same or very similar though!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. kai

kai Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies!

I want to get used to Linux because im going to try and get a job with just the network+. Hopefully I can show an employer that Im learning at home all the time and show some enthusiasm :D

The next cert will be the microsoft desktop support one. Might as well get used to Linux if I end up running into it without no experience at all :blink

Thanks again!

Kai.