Which ISP are you with?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Boycie, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yeah, its back up but, like you not sure if it has lost 'owt :twisted:

Looking around at ISP's PN are still good value for unlimited :oops:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

See here for bad news about this latest outage at Plusnet. :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Looks like the engineer is going to be an ex-engineer.

Edit: At least they are being honest and keeping customers informed, unlike a certain ISP I could mention.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm with NTL. Their internet connection (out of 10) I would say is a 8. Once in a blue moon their DNS server goes down and they alway update you on their status page. I'm happy with their internet service, don't like their customer service centre - you can wait a very long time sometimes, but it suits me needs. A 4 meg line with unlimited download restrictions (uncapped).

But everyone has a different story...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

I guess you havent seen this then?

http://portal.f9.net.uk/supportpage...l&f9_session=11e61dbbbf2a8494140b6a16a22c967f

800GB :eek:

Im with Entanet, payed for by work, max adsl, 6mb down, 800 up, 90gb usage during working hours, 320gb offpeak with static IP. all for £25 a month :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Late to the party, but here goes:
    I'm with BT, have been for almost a year. Absolutely no problems with connection, uptime (never had an outage) or speed consistency.
    Note consistency - originally signed up for the 2 Meg package @ £30/month, spent the first 6 months on 512k as there was a problem when the broadband was first connected.

I was told at the time the speed would be looked at & upgraded if possible after a few weeks. After 6 months I rang BT to ask why we were still on 512k, and if they knew what the problem was. 30 minutes and four people later the answer I got was 'Don't know' :x

The very next day our connection speed magically became 1MB. :biggrin
    Still no sign of 2MB though.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I hope you're not paying for the 2 meg service Gaz :blink .

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I had that discussion with them & their official line is that it's the cap you pay for & they just provide the maximum speed available. :x

Never mind, I'll be buggering off to Sky broadband next month!

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  10. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Freedom 2 Surf 8MB LLU - had quite severe speed & packet loss issues a while back, but stable now.

Customer services and tech support non existent. Will eventually migrate when i can be bothered to do it...

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  11. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

NTL 10MBit and 3.5 years of fantastic service!

Just a shame about the tech support centre in India.
    QOS is flaky to say the least.

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Recently i have migrated to Demon. No cap, no setup, my line is acheiving 6.7 down, 448 up. £19.99 per month (inc VAT).

:)

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheek,

Thanks for the link. I think Baba summed it up earlier on in the thread. All these ISP's start off small and therefore reliable and very <customer orientated>. When they attract more customers their level of service drops.
    To be honest, as long as their connection is rock solid, i couldn't care about other services such as webmail purely because i don't use them.
    I will keep you informed on how the connection is- so far so good.

Si

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Smellywest 10Mb.

Absolutely no complaints - I can count the number of service outages from them in the last five years on the fingers of two hands.

The only minor gripe I have with them is the lack of knoweldge on the part of their first-line bods - although since I never deal with them this is really hearsay from my Brother-In-Law.

He says that they NEVER deviate from the script when trying to establish whether there's a connectivity issue, even when its obvious that its not just you experiencing a service outage (e.g. when your next door neighbour reports an outage at the same time!)

Still, I can live with the downtime I get from them - especially since three of the outages have been related to link speed upgrades :)

I hear rumours Croydon is going to be one of the first Telewest areas to get 20Mb lines too - I'll have some of that!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I think there is a <new> provider offering up to 24MB LLB. :eek:

17. hbroomhall

Quite a few of them. 24Mbit/s is the max speed for ADSL2+ and many ISPs are gearing up to supply this.

Harry.

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeah - thats ADSL though.

I've never liked it, and its always been more unreliable than cable simply because it all relies on BT's infrastructure, which, as anyone who's ever dealt with them will know, is shite.

Telewest/NTL's infrastructure is infinitely superior to BTs, is more reliable and you don't have to worry about living more than two miles away from an exchange and getting a crap speed as a result.

plus, theoretically, there's nothing to stop the cable companies from providing speeds of up to 40Mb/s if they wanted to...

19. hbroomhall

Er - there *are* others supplying ADSL2+ and not using BT's infrastructure...

Easynet/UKOnline/Sky for one.

Harry.

20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You're right, of course. I hadn't included EasyNet in there as an alternative. however, since their DSL network only covers the major cities, its not likely to appeal to anyone living out of their reach and any unbundling-type agreement they came to with another telco would suffer from the same nightmare that plagues anyone who's had to deal with multiple telcos before (they basically play the blame game with each other until you explode :biggrin )

I believe Colt have their own infrastructure too, although I'm not sure whether they farm any of it out to ISPs for residential allocation?