Which is the best exam pack for 70-271?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by RickUK, Oct 2, 2008.

1. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Please advise.
    A friend who did a similar exam a few years ago told me that he was able to learn loads by going through loads and loads of exam questions.
    So - the more questions the better..
    Thanks in advance.
    Rick

WIP: 70-271
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You do not learn by going thru load of exams questions, in fact what you've described sounds alot like braindumps. The use of braindumps can decertify you and you can be banned from taking any future exams.

The best and only way to pass an exam is to study the material properly by using study books, CBT's, practice exams from legit vendors and actually using the technology.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Really?

I'm aware of the issue with brain dumps. All the same, I would think that there would be a place in the market for non-dump mock exams to be used as teaching tool. It is standard practice at good schools these days to ensure that kids go through their mocks answers with their teachers in order to learn from their mistakes.

(after posting) On second reading, I see that you mentioned "practice exams from legit vendors". Could somebody recommend a good one legit vendor please?

WIP: 70-271
  4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I think the differance is between using mock exams (not actual past exams) to see if you are ready for the real thing, and using them to learn! I don't think doing loads of exams is a great way to learn, even if you don't mean braindumps.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

The MSPress book comes with all the information (well nearly all) you will need for the exam, practical labs to get you to be able to use the software and a CD with a trial copy of XP and a whole bunch of questions which will test your knowledge.

If you are really cheeky (and confident) you could use the real test as a practice exam, currently Microsoft are doing a second shot promotion which means you sign up for a code, then use this code when signing up for the official exam, you then get to retake it for free in the future.

This is a cheap way of a quasi-practice exam, in the sense that you will see what questions will be like and how to take the exam, the downside is you dont get the answers to any questions (and the questions may be different next time), and the exam sheet you get will grade you on usually around 5 or 6 categories, so you will have to work out for yourself, but this can be done, I suppose you need to know your stuff and in the exam you will be able to remember what you struggle on.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you select a high-quality practice exam vendor that provides detailed explanations for each question, then yes, you CAN learn by going through practice exam questions. And although you CAN use them as your only exam prep tool, they're not designed to be the only study tool you use... they're designed to be used AFTER you study, AFTER you've gotten hands-on experience with the software or technology, and RIGHT BEFORE you take exam to ensure that you are ready for the real thing. After all, the only time a practice exam can judge whether you are truly ready or not is the FIRST time you see the questions... not the LAST time you see them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think going through certification, if you do it properly, can be a great way to improve your skills

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Agreed, i actually meant doing lots of mock exams isn't a great way to learning new material. Certs paired with experience is obviously the best.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Very true.

just to point out it is likely that you will get sim questions, so you need to know the theory and the how to side of using the Windows OS, and the point of certs are to prove you are capable of working with the product in real life, not just able to memorise facts to pass the test

10. Tresham College Jon

Tresham College Jon New Member

My wife teaches science to A level and sighs that 'these days all we do is teach the kids to pass the exams'.
    That's OK but then they're not going to be slung into a situation where they're going to be faced with a real problem that they haven't faced before that needs fixing and 10 minutes ago....