1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is best option NETWORK + or CCNA for Beginners without network backgraound

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Chispa2012, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Chispa2012

Chispa2012 New Member

Hi, i'm anthony i'm preparing to get my A + certificaion shortly , but my goal are to get into networking, i do not have background relate d to networking execpt what i'm learning in A + , so please which is the best option for me after A + network + or CCNA, which of them is more basic and easy to undertand? is CCNA easy or harder than Network +?

PLease , give our opinion , thanks in advance.

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Network+ is definitely easier than the CCNA and seen as the more entry level, so start there and then work up to the CCNA afterwards.

The Net+ course is also not vendor specific, so covers all basics of networking which apply regardless of hardware, where as the CCNA is all Cisco. Having said that, I would say as far as Networking certs go then the Cisco ones are the highest regarded by employers. Still definitely start with Net+ though. Then do your CCNA afterwards.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Network+ first

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Definitely the N+.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I would go for the first part of the CCNA, ICND 1, which would give you the CCENT certification.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Definitely N+ as CCNA is not an entry level cert and is vendor specific. N+ would give you the basics to go on to do the CCENT/CCNA. If you are not using Cisco equipment or have no exposure to it then you are at a disadvantage.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Neither is Network+ if you look at their recommended entry requirements:

Recommended experience - CompTIA A+ certification and nine months networking experience

Cisco however market the CCENT as entry-level, and when you look at the topics, it is all basic networking knowledge:

The exam includes topics on networking fundamentals; connecting to a WAN; basic security and wireless concepts; routing and switching fundamentals; the TCP/IP and OSI models; IP addressing; WAN technologies; operating and configuring IOS devices; configuring RIPv2, static and default routing; implementing NAT and DHCP; and configuring simple networks.

Now, the fact it actually shows you how to use this knowledge on a network device is an added bonus, not a disadvantage. Network+ teaches these same topics, although you end up without the ability to actually do any of those things on an actual network device.

EDIT: I would also add i don't ever see Network+ on network job requirements, however the phrase "cisco certifications a bonus" or "Cisco certified" is in pretty much them all.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. morph

morph Byte Poster

i was asked to go on a CCNA course as soon as i got a trainee network role, however it blew my head of and I found it hard to get me head around, i went back started with the network + and the moved on, don't try and run before you can walk. It took me slightly longer to acheive things but i feel I've got a better understanding!

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  9. ps

ps New Member

Network+ is elementary.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) | A+ | N+ | Sec+
    WIP: Server+
  10. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster Forum Leader

Juniper Networks - the upstart - have some nice free training material on their site. Gives a very nice overview of networking (as a trainer I'll certainly be stealing adopting some of their models to explain concepts).
    You also get 50%-discount vouchers for JNCIA and two JNCIS certifications.

You're welcome.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?