Which is best MCSE or MCPD ????

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by karthikguru, Jul 1, 2009.

1. karthikguru

karthikguru New Member

hi guys i'm an engineering graduate from India i want to go for an microsoft certification...

i want to decide between two lines networking or .NET so can u guide me n tell which is best at the current scenario MCPD or MCSE ???? :unsure

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

It depends on what you want to do and what your current level of experience is.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. karthikguru

karthikguru New Member

i'm not tat much interested in networking.... i have some 6 months experience in .NET programming.... but here in my circle people say MCSE is more valuable but i don have much experience in networking.... so my question is is MCPD valuable ... ????

4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

If you are looking at this from a purely monetary perspective then you are going about this the wrong way, as if you dont enjoy the job and you are on your 3rd 12 hour day trying to fix a networking problem because you thought it was better money, you simply wont last at the job. Do what intrests you and you are good at, not how much you would get paid for it.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. karthikguru

karthikguru New Member

i'm really interested in programming and creating web applications and all those kinda things.... so i'll go for MCPD ... but is tat certification alone worth or is it a part of a package... ????

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

None of them are worth anything without experience. Don't bother wasting your time and money paying for expensive certifications without first trying to get work in the IT industry for experience - you will join the literally hundreds of thousands of people from the subcontinent with useless bits of paper who don't know what an RJ45 looks like.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. karthikguru

karthikguru New Member

well my experience is nil in networking.... but i've done some small projects in .NET .... so i need a start at some time... i've finished college and i need to choose my path now.. tat's why i'm asking ur guidance....

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

...appreciated, that's why I've given you my guidance above. You need to make the choice - what interests you more? Development work or Systems/Networking? Irrespective of which you choose, getting an advanced certification in either field will be useless to you without experience - you need to start looking around for entry-level positions and work for a couple of years before even attempting to get an advanced certification.

Of course, as indicated above, you could just do what 95% of people coming from the subcontinent to work in the UK/Europe/US do - cheat your way to certifications by braindumping them - but you'd be as much use as a chocolate teapot, and I suspect you're rather more interested in actually pursuing a career in your chosen field properly, rather than trying to cheat your way into it

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Heh... Your guidance should be what you want to do... the certifications should be what compliments your experience once you've beein doing it a while, to prove that you are actually capable of doing it to a recognised standard.

As most people have stated.. with programming, a portfolio is key to being successful. So go and do some random projects and document them :)

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

were your small projects done at college?

If so then that doesn't really mean whole lot. You need real on the job experience before getting either of those certifications and the only way to do that is to start at the bottom.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?