Which instant messenger?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by nugget, Jul 16, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As we will be trying to ressurect lab partners the suggestion was made to keep in touch through instant messaging. Seeing as I've kept away from these (read as don't have many friends) I have no idea which one to use. After doing some looking I found a prog called Trillian which supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo and IRC. What I can't understand is how it all works? Do I create an account with Trillian or is it just an interface to the others in which case I would have to have an account with them?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Trillian, like Gaim and Kopette (linux products) is just a bridge between all major networks, as the major network propietory clients ONLY talk to those clients

the major players are

MSN Messenger

AOL Messenger (AIM)

Yahoo Messenger

ICQ (oldest and wisest and most bloated)

to be honest you really want MSN Messenger, most all new net users use MSN rather than the others, but the others still have major weight (especialy since AOL bought Mirabilis (makers of ICQ)

a Multi protocol client is useful, but i have never been fond of trillian and gaim is bulky (but i use it)

you WILL need an account with each network, so again its pointless signing up for all networks unless u need to
    most of us wil llikely already use MSN
    multi vendor client is pointless until you have multiple accounts as you can still only connect to the 4 networks if you have an account on each :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Phoenix, I'll start on it now but I have a small problem. I removed Messenger yesterday:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Windows messenger and MSN Messenger are two different thigns (althogh the same network)

Windows messenger is kinda sucky, and hasnt been updated for ages, MSN Messenger is on version 6.2 (i believe)
    get it from messenger.msn.com i think!

(keep rid of windows messenger lol)

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry, this was msn messenger as per Si's article, the little pita that appears in the taskbar.

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

err the one that come with xp is windows messenger, not msn messenger
    (its confusing i know)

unless u installed MSN messenger u wont have it

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Windows messenger is included with the XP install.

It's used with some XP features.For example it's used with Remote Assistance.
    Outlook and Outlook Express, the Communications Service, and Exchange Instant Messaging use the Windows Messenger service.

You need not worry about those at the moment or maybe never, just install MSN messenger:
    Download MSN messenger 6.2

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Agreed with the Guys, Nugg - unless you were going to be IM'ing with people on different clients (then use Trillian), I'd just say go with MSN.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm currently using Trillian Pro v2

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

MSN messenger for me, I did try Trillian but as I only really use MSN messenger I couldnt see the point of Trillian personally.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...