Which exams are most relevant

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Metalstar, May 30, 2007.

1. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Hi all

I've recently been appointed as IT Manager for a financial advisers that I am already employed with. I've taken it on with a view to getting some certifications alongside some good experience.

Basically, I would appreciate your opinions on whether starting off with compTIA A+ and moving on to MCSE is the right path (or if I am missing something completely!)

Initially i'll be looking after an exchange server with 15-20 users and also doing the helpdesk support. Mostly I will be dealing with queries from the users in the office, to which I will have full access. A few of my collegues connect via VPN when out of the office.

Appreciate your thoughts! :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I guess the relevance depends on the individual.

Personally, if i were you, i would start off on the MCSE track. Not knocking the A+, Network+, - you are already in the job and familiar with the theory behind them.

Just my thoughts, I am sure others will give you their opinion.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What IT experience do you have mate? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Metalstar

Basically, anything that I have taught myself for fun!

I built systems and sold them throughout my college days to pay my way and since then I have worked in the financial industry, but always ended up being the main IT "go to" if things went wrong.

I run Linux at home and have set home networks up for Friends & Family and one for a small business as a favour!

So I would say i'm competent but I dont have any formal training etc.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends. Personally, I think that even the entry-level certifications are helpful to get. If you already know the stuff on those exams, it should take you no time at all to conquer them. And if you don't know the stuff on those exams, then that's certainly a good reason to study them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

hello

i was in a position very similar to yourself less than 6 months ago.
    I went and passed the CompTIA A+ and Network+ very quickly as I knew nearly all the stuff, basically fllick through a book and you'll have them both under your belt.

In my opinion they were a good preparation for the MCSA track I have almost finished now, I have my final exam next week (70-218 yeh! Win2K gets dropped next year, I know ;) ) and it has all been worth it.

I have learnt new skills and pick up hints and tips galore, and hopefully will continue to do so when I take the upgrade to w2k3.

After that I'm gonna have a break from studying as my brain hurts!!

Ultimately ... if you can , then why not?

7. Metalstar

Thanks guys.

Basically I just want to take the most relevant subject as I'm quite loyal to the company i'm with and want to make the best of it for both of us! I'm sure they would help with whatever exams I chose so I should make the most of it.

I feel pretty lucky to be able to gain the experience before having any qualifications! I'll look into A+ and MCSE and decide which i feel most comfortable starting with.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I was in a similar boat to you, lots of practical experience but no formal training.. i decided to go straight into the MCSE, which i finally got after three years! However, in retrospect, i regret not doing the A+ and N+ the topics covered in these courses are assumed knowledge when studying Microsoft certs, and there were times i struggled to grasp the material quickly because of gaps in my fundamental knowledge.

It's your call but i would recommend doing the A+ and N+ first 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would still go for the A+ and Network+ before starting the MCSE.

What network infrastructure are you running at work? Small Business Server by any chance? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Metalstar

Cetainly is :)

I'll bob into waterstones tomorrow to have a gander through some of the books I think :biggrin

11. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

deffinatly take the A+ and N+, if you know the stuff already then it wont take long at all to gain these 2 certifications, so well worth it

plus as mentioned above there may be some stuff in there that you dont know which will be handy

then go for the MCSE

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  12. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO, I'd just take it one step at a time get the A+ & Network+, then do the MCSA. If you still want to go for the MCSE after that then do it, otherwise after the MCSA (and some experience with Win2k8) do the upgrade exam. Well that's my opinion anyway :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. Metalstar

Thanks guys.

I merely mentioned the A+ cert to my boss today, even though he is on his hols and he told me to get the material I need and he will cover it :)

So I've been out today and bouth Mike Meyers A+ book (6th Edition . . they had a 5th Edition which I almost took by mistake!)

Having had a flick through it, its very encouraging that I have touched on alot of the material already, so gaining the knowledge required for a tech shouldn't take me as long as I thought!

Cheers for all the advice guys.