which employment route

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Aug 20, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have always enjoyed a lot of different aspects in IT from the techie side to quality control and testing reports.

After I finish my A+ I am not sure wether I should look for an entry level tech job or go into software testing or maybe work towards a DBA role.

Although being a DBA would be at the bottom of my list. I have always enjoyed diagnosing problems and fixing them but I have also enjoyed writing reports on how I believe a particular piece of software or OS should be or could be improved.

So does anyone have any suggestions do I stick with going for a tech job or look more into a software testing route, as I have said I enjoy both. I do however feel that there may be too many tech people out there thats why the competition is so great.

Thanks for any responses

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well depends what you like really, its a personal choice you will have to make for yourself based on experience.

I've never worked in support but heres my two penneth worth...

Support can probably involve periods of not doing much but you will still have a job, as you are paid to fix things if they break.
    As a developer when the work or budget runs out, often so does your job !

Nearly every company needs IT support people so there are alot more jobs, however there are also alot more candidates.
    As a developer you are at the top of the food chain, its a highly specific niche role, only certain companies require this, finding and keeping work can be tough.

Pay for support is generally less than pay for development, but as has been mentioned development can be more variable.

Of course these are all generalisations, some IT support people do some development work, some developers end up as support programmers etc.

Testing on the whole seems like a less skilled and less interesting job than developing. However it can be well paid and you will probably do less overtime.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cheers for that, as for testing I am not all that keen on programming but implementing the odd small script I am not too bothered about.

Its the reporting faze of testing I prefer as for what would be involved in a support role I like all aspects.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Support roles can vary. If you are first line support and answer all the help desk calls then there may be times when you sitting around waiting for something to do. In my experience this is when you deal with all the email requests though! :biggrin

I think you need to decide what path you want to go for and base your certs around that, obviously a tech job is very different from a software testing job. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

DMarsh is right... most every company needs a tech... very few need software testers.

Besides... if you're good at what you do, it doesn't matter how many other support techs there are in the field. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!