Which do you think is more beneficial?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by scottste, Apr 9, 2007.

1. scottste

scottste Bit Poster

Hi there, First off all I am new to the forum so would like ot say hi to everyone. I am looking to move in to IT preferably software support rather than hardware. Do you think it would be more beneficial to study for an MCP like the 270 exam, or go straight for the microsoft helpdesk cert. Of course there is always the A+ as well. I have been looking at the certifications but cannot decide which is best. To give you some idea I would like to start in helpdesk but would like to move on to being a systems administrator further on in the career hopefully I will be starting. Any guidance anyone could give would be greatfully received. I don't know if it makes any difference but I am not a school leaver, I am almost 30 (I am running out of time to do something useful in a career).

Many thanks,
    Scott.

2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

For support work I would recommend A+, N+ then MCDST, but then I would because thats what I'm doing.

I'm sure someone else will have other opinions but thats what this place is about.

Hope this helps :biggrin .

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. scottste

scottste Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply Mondos. I was thinking about the A+ to start being that it covers hardware and software. I suppose it's the best of both worlds, and I have been told that it's a good place to start if you are new to IT.

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi Scott.. my first question to you is what you mean by "software support rather than hardware"? If you talking about MS products here then you still need to know A LOT about hardware as well as the software products so starting off with A+ which is a hardware and software based certification is a good start.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. scottste

scottste Bit Poster

Hi Zimbo, thanks for the reply. Sorry I have not been very clear with where I would like to go with a career, what I mean't to say was that I don't want to be in a repair centre replacing motherboards and so on. I would rather go the way of network support, I think the word I left out in my original post was 'network'. Network support/engineer I think is the way I would like to go, and from there hopefully up to network administrator.
    Sorry for the confusion.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

First of all whats wrong with replacing motherboards in a repair centre? Do you have any experience right now? :rolleyes:

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Scott,

I'm 33 and still trying to break into IT properly, I'm having to do a non IT related CS job to try and get into an IT helpdesk role.

Also as zim said there is nothing wrong with working in a repair centre it all counts towards experience.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. scottste

scottste Bit Poster

Hi Zimbo, Yes I worked for 2 years at Montal computer systems in the repair centre and commisioning deaprtment. This involved building the systems from the ground up for clients but also diagnosing and repairing hardware faults when they came back for repair. I did not sadly get involved with software repairs nor did I go out onsite with the engineers. I did also get involved with building some 19" rack mount servers including RAID arrays. I just didn't feel that it was the way I wanted to go, I have to say that this was 7 years ago though. I mean't no disrespect to hardware engineers it's just something that I am not that interested in.

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

But the problem is you might need to spend more time in a hardware role to move into System Admin. Even when you move into a Sys Admin role you will possibly very often be doing basic repairs as well and not just working with the Server OS for example. I think you are not too sure what the job role of a Network Support/System Admin does because there is a lot of hardware repairs involved as well.

10. scottste

scottste Bit Poster

Hi Wizard, thanks for replying. I am in a very similar position as yourself. I am also in a CS position non IT related. I do have the experience of working in a repair centre as mentioned above which as you say is good experience and looks good on the CV. Sadly it was sometime ago though. It may seem strange that I did not continue in IT then, but I moved to Devon with my wife as she really wanted to move away from Brighton (she did not feel safe with our first born there). I did not go straight in to IT down here which I should of done. Instead I started in a CS telephone position and from there got stuck in a bit of a rut (politically correct for saying I got lazy). This was 6 years ago. I feel that now is the time for me to be a bit more proactive. I hope your are successful in getting in to the IT industry.

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Another pointer is the IT market has changed a lot in the past 6-7 years.. Even though i was still in school from what i read it was much much easier to get a job with little or no experience and just "paper certifications" (these are certifications without experience to back it up), times have changed and for you to get *any* job in IT is a GOOD start - so i think you might have to swollow a little and start from the bottom to work yourself up into a better role.

12. scottste

scottste Bit Poster

Hi Zimbo. I think you hit the nail on the head there when you said I am not sure what the different roles involve, this is possibly my biggest problem at the moment. From what I gather you are basically saying that whatever route I want to take learning hardware repairs is a big plus, is that right? going on what I have reviously said would you still reccommend the A+ as the best place to start or would the MS certs be better. Thanks for your time on this, I know that I can be a pain sometimes.

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Yes the A+ would be a good starting place. Next up is dont be so negative with repair centres - because its all experience and bad bad pay ( as opposed to bad pay for the rest of IT jobs - but heck if you in IT for the money - make a run for it now cause you in the wrong job...) like i said you might need to stick to this for a bit to move up in the world.

14. scottste

scottste Bit Poster

I completely agree Zimbo. I am aware that I will have to start from the bottom and work my way up, when I worked in the repair centre a PII was top notch so I am a little out of date. I have no problem starting at the bottom, just not to sure which way is best certification wise. Not sure how I will explain the wage decrease to the wife though.:biggrin

15. scottste

scottste Bit Poster

Hi Zimbo, Fair play, perhaps I have been a bit harsh on repair centres and am trying to run before I can walk. Thanks for your honesty. After chatting to you and the others I think I will go the way of A+. Seems to be te best way to go at the moment and at least it is not vendor specific. Thanks very much for you time on this and helping me make my decision.

16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster