Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by DaveyB1981, May 7, 2009.

1. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

In studying for my 70-271 retake, i realised that i had misplaced my Exam Cram book. "oh well" i thought, "I have the pdf version from the cd i will just use that, but i hate reading from the screen"

Tonight (on the eve of the exam) i have found the book but also found that i now seem to PREFER reading from the screen. I think the main reason for this is that when i read the book i may not be immediately near a pc for testing anything i am unsure of.

So my question to you is :- which do you prefer and why?

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If I'm studying I have to read from a book.

I do have a copy of all my MS Press Books on USB Key so that I can quickly search a topic or item if needed at work.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I have to read from a book, but like craigie keep the PDF's around in case I need them.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While I use both, I prefer having a good book in my hand rather than reading it off a screen :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

It's weird...up until this week a would have agreed with you!

Each to their own i suppose. If i am ever doing any kind of deployment i always print off the guides for reading. generally hate reading from the screen.

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  6. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Hmm i would prefer to read from a book, I think its easier on the eyes. Although i can see your point about being near a PC but then the beauty of a book is that i can still study miles away from a PC.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

PDF most of the time with RDP onto a server. I usually take a few notes and screenshots as I go along.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I prefer reading it off the screen as I keep my notes in word documents. All of my books look immaculate ha ha (which I secretly like :oops:).

Also I like the idea of having my career on a 8GB USB stick that I keep on my keys. CV, Books I've bought, notes, diagrams and my trusty USB bootable penetration testing version of Linux with all my tools :biggrin.

That way I'm already packed and prepared if I go to an interview, emigrate or am bored at a PC somwhere :twisted:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For Theory I use a book for practical I use a PDF... much easier when you're doing practice questions, plus I got a dual monitor setup so it's even more convenient...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I use my laptop and an external montior.

Most of the time the external monitor has at least 2, more often then not, 4 or 6 Virtual PC's running whilst I'm studying and the laptop has CBT Nuggets playing. I then have the book open on the chapter I'm currently learning about on the CBT Nugget whilst going over my notes.

Soon to come to an end (for a while at least), if I get my MCSE...

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  11. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What do you mean? Get on with the Server 2008 upgrade after that :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yeah Cragie, stop being lazy, that MCITP won't earn itself . . . . .(runs) :p

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

One thing I have started doing and to be honest has had a huge effect on both my work and study has been Evernote. This allows you to organise things into note books, - so I tend to have one for each exam or subjects if I am strugling with particluar concepts. It is full searchable and will take any content you throw a it while preserving the formating.

But thats not the great thing - the best thing about it is that once an hour, or manually if you prefer, it will sync your local notebook to the Evernote servers allowing you to have your notes available through any web browser - and futher more there is a client for the iPhone, Windows mobile and I think there is a Blackberry one but don't hold me to that.

It simple, keeps all my notes in one place and means I dont lose things as often. Hope it helps someone.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

I bought a couple of large wipeable white boards and some markers, that way when Im reading my ccna and mcdst material i take down some notes and make a few sketches of topics just so if the wording doesnt stick in my mind my drawings will. i have found this method really works for me:D once im done with the chapter il look over my board and sometimes hang it up on the wall of my bedroom just so i can take a quick look at it as im passing by :biggrin my mum thinks im crazy but nevermind lol

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Prefer Hardcopy book... PDF's are good, but your eyes need a rest from the screen!

16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hehe, I have already downloaded Server 2008 from MS :)