Which course is best for me?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by KazWhite, Oct 3, 2007.

1. KazWhite

KazWhite New Member

I am a 24 year old ICT Technician at a secondary school in Birmingham. I only have a few basic IT qualifications (i.e GNVQ, City & Guilds, ECDL etc) but obviously i got some knowledge that i've taught myself. I haven't really got any networking experience. I've been at my current job for almost 2 years now and really feel it's time to get some proper certifications under my belt. Being in education my pay isn't amazing and they're not that willing to spend too much on me. Anyhoo, i've being trying to decide on a certification for myself.

Does anyone have any advice?

I've been looking at the MCDST. I did look at the A+ but one of the training centres i looked at said that it wasnt that popular anymore and was being phased out. But i'm wondering whether it was a con.

I cant decide whether to teach myself or find a class somewhere.

Thank you!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It definetly was a con.

The compTIA A+ is more recognised in the US but is becoming moreso here, I would definetly reccomend the a+, N+ the MCDST.

If you have much experience the getting the A+ and N+ shouldn't take you long

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Definitely the A+. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

Hi kaz :)

self taught would be cheaper as you would only have to pay for the books and exam and could be more beneficial if you're motivated. Most people seem to take the A+, N+ then microsoft route but it really depends on what you want out the qualifications, what sort of job you want ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello Kaz,
    With your experience i would try A+ first & then N+.
    Both of which you could aim to do when the school is quiet during holiday's?
    After these two it depends on what you want to do next, MCP would be good as would MCDST.

What is the system & software being run by the school at the moment?

Try self-teaching for A+ as you probably know most of it already.
    And then try a course at a local tech/college for N+.
    Some College's run Cisco IT Essentials 1 & 2 each 1 term long, IT1 will help you do A+ & IT2 will help towards Server+.

Good luck.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. KazWhite

KazWhite New Member

Thank you everyone!!

I originally wanted to do the A+ but after that idiot told me it wasnt as popular i was gonna go for the MCDST, so thank you! I think i fancy doing the A+, N+ and microsoft route.

Anyone got any A+ book recommendations? PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+® Skills is one i've seen mentioned a few times on this forum.

Thanks again!

PS: We're an RM school.