Which certification to go for ?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by r_raman, Jan 6, 2010.

1. r_raman

r_raman New Member

hi
    I have work experience of 1.6 years.
    I have worked on ASP .NET with .net version 3.0 with wcf and Ajax Control Toolkit addon.
    I am planning to go for MCTS certification on Asp .Net .

I wanted your advice on wether i should give certification on ASP .NEt 3.5 or the old ASP .NEt 2.0

Pls Guide me as I am not that familiar with professional demands..

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, you don't really say what field you're in or which field you want to be in.
    Is this to aid your career in your present position or to try and make a job change?

To be honest, it doesn't matter too much.
    MCTS/MCPD is the cert you end up with and I wouldn't expect that an employer would rule you out just because you were certified on 2.0 when they wanted someone with 3.5 - as long as your other skills and experience met the requirements.

3.5 has been around for a while now so you may as well go with that. These things aren't getting any younger.
    You could try and doing research on who is using what, but you aren't going to get any meaningful results from it. The only thing you can be sure of is that no matter who is using 2.0 now, sooner or later they're going to be using 3.5. Or 4.0.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally I would say if you're working with .Net 2, certify on .Net 2, then when you move over to .Net 3.5 or the upcoming .Net 4, then do the upgrade exams.

Regardless of whether you go for the 3.5 or 2 version, you will have to pass Exam 70-536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework – Application Development Foundation. So do that one first, then decide which exam to take. Again personally I would go down the route that closely matches your job role, whether it's: Web Developer, Windows Developer or Application Developer.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. r_raman

r_raman New Member

sorry for the late reply
    JonnyMX,you asked the purpose of taking the certification.
    I worked on ASP.net for sometime.Now in the new project which i have joined ,they are making me work on SQL Server 2005 (writing queries,SP).The application itself is Windows based (so no ASP)
    I want to be in web development in .net but the roles given to me are taking me nowhere in my career path.So i need the certification to go further with my plans.I am confused as to what to do.Giving certification i thought would build my profile to an extent.

This is why i asked which certification version should i go for