which certification should i go for and why?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zakzapakzak5, Apr 2, 2008.

1. zakzapakzak5

zakzapakzak5 Bit Poster

Hello everyone,

I m an IT graduate( B.E in IT)

Currently I m working as web developer in Asp.Net 2.0 using c#.

Its been 5 months that i've been working as a web developer.

Now suddenly i m finding out that i m not enjoying programming too much,

and at the same time i m not upto the demand too.

so i m planning to switch my career into something else.

Is there anyway i can work in web development company without the role

of programmer?

secondly i am planning to switch my career to computer networks instead?

so what certification should i go for if i need to do this?

i've heard about CCNA,Microsoft certificates,Network etc etc.

which one is the best?

plus Is there any other computer fields that i could go for?

I m in all sorts of confusion.

anyone has a suggestion?

thanks in advance.

Jack.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if your wanting to go into networking then I would suggest getting the A+ and N+ before moving on, the CCNA won't do you much good as having that cert without experience on CISCO kits could harm your career prospects as employers expect you to do the job without any guidance which you will need with no experience.

After the N+ have a look at the MCDST whilst your doing all this try and get a helpdesk, IT tech job and work your way into networking.

Good Luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

What computer related courses did you have as part of your BE in IT program? Depending on what they were you might want to skip the A+ and go straight to the N+ or CCENT.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I don’t know what B.E. in IT covers. Without that I’d say go with GBL’s advice. Even if your program did cover most of the material handled in the A+, use that to your advantage and get the A+ faster. Gets you a cert under your belt, and on your CV.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A certification won't automagically qualify you to work on computer networks - you've got to work up to that level. However, you CAN start out on the path to getting there by following the advice given by GBL and Sunn.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. zakzapakzak5

zakzapakzak5 Bit Poster

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok i completed my B.E degree in IT in 2006.

During 8 semester course i studied many subjects like:-

Computer Networks,Computer network security,data communication,computer networks

and cryptography, DBMS, C++,C etc and few engineering management course.

So in a sense i have more than basic computer network knowledge with no experiece.

since past few months i ve been working as asp.net web developer and i want to switch my career.

so i want to have some suggestion and help to choose a right certification to pursue my career on it.

thanks.

jack.

7. greenbrucelee

I have a HND were I did networking, ASP, C++ etc but unfortunately it doesn't mean anything without experience, I still say you should do the A+ and N+ even if you find them easy they will only enhance your CV. Not many people walk straight into a networking job.

You need to work your way there or be very lucky, so at least get the N+ you'll be suprised what you learn on it that you didn't on your B.E. Don't go for the Cisco cert until you have been working on cisco kit as many employers will not let you loose on their kit untill you have considerable experience wether your cisco certified or not.

8. BosonMichael

So... you've got intermediate computer network knowledge with no experience.

In any case, it doesn't matter how much knowledge you have... for advanced jobs, employers will hire someone with experience over someone without experience. Nothing against you, or what you have learned... that's just how most employers think.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. CheeseOnToast

CheeseOnToast Nibble Poster

I fail to see how the A+ would help someone get a job in Comms.

At a minimum do the network+

Or you could try the CCEnt (although I don't know much about it)

Regardless of what some here say, employers will hire people blindly, I have seen it done, and still see it being done

Just make sure you either get access to a lab or buy some kit so you know what you're doing

Certifications: ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA
  10. BosonMichael

So... your advice is to get overcertified, so employers with sense will pass you over, and employers without sense (great people to work for, let me tell you) who hire blindly might blindly pick you over someone else? GREAT plan. :thumbleft :biggrin

Even "blind" employers will usually hire someone with experience + certifications over someone with just certifications and no experience.

11. zakzapakzak5

zakzapakzak5 Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The conclusion i got from here is that one should

always try to have hands on experience before taking advance exam like MCSE,MCSA,MCP, CCNA,CCNP etc.

But before that one could go for basic certification like A+ ,N+ or CCENT.

But main thing is i dont have any experience.

so inorder to get experience i need to get into the network companies first.

and inorder to do that i should do some basic courses or certification right?

without which i wont be able to find job right?

so plz advise which basic certification should start with?

so should i start with A+ and N+.? is it good enough to start with?

but i have completed few network topics in my B.E degree.so may be i can skip few certification.

i also want to know what will i learnt learning A+ and N+.i mean which areas of topics?

i m also wondering what would be my job role if i have A+ and N+ certification?

My aim is to end up getting the job role as network admin or something like that.

so is this the good certification to start with?

i m very new and raw to this field and i have no guidance so i m very confused.

i also need to start my career soon.so many things are running in my head right now.

sorry if i have asked too many questions.

Thanks.

Jack.

12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hi Jack,

The N+ is pretty basic stuff, if you know networking you should be able to get a cram book, maybe a CBT and a test simulator and within a few weeks get it nailed.

I haven't taken the A+ so I'm not the best source of info, I'm pretty sure I know 90% of the content and have higher quals and experience so personally I could not justify the time and expense, especially as it requires two exams.

If you have no experience and are struggling to get your first job its probably well worth a look, doubly so if you think you may learn something at the same time. If you've built and fixed a few PC's and messed with the innards of computers and setting up devices and OS's, and have studied computer arch it should be no big deal, maybe a month or twos study I guess ?

I don't know anything about CCENT other than its Ciscos equivalent of the A+/N+, I expect it will cover similar ground.

Some people do both tracks, most chose one or the other, seems that most here chose the CompTia track.

I would continue to study while looking for a graduate job, you may have to make hundreds of applications, I lost count of the number of rejections I got, at the end I had a folder several inches thick. If you did well on your degree you should have a lot to offer an employer. The first job is the hardest to find, I strugggled to get into IT in 1995 I can only guess what it must be like now ! As I'm sure you are aware, buiding an IT career is a lifelong commitment, its not a easy proposition that involves a one off couple of months or throwing a few thousand pounds at a training provider.

Best of luck !:biggrin

Dave

13. greenbrucelee

Don't dismiss the A+ & N+ as basic. I did HND computing as I said before with networking at Leeds Uni and I learned thing in my A+ that I didn't learn at uni. Get the A+ and N+ under your belt and start looking for a job, and don't make the mistake I did of expecting a high paid job because it hardley every happens. You have to start at the bottom wether you have a degree or not.

14. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yep I'm sure they are challenging and they can take some over a year to complete. The point is any courses difficulty depends on the level of the student when they embark on that course.

All I can say is they N+ took me one week, and I was not and am still not a networking guru, can't say how long it might take others.

HND and degree courses seem to vary a lot in their content, I covered PC architecture on my HND and more exotic architectures on my degree. I coded in assembler on both courses. I'd already built and dismantled several computers both PC and non PC by that point. I had also been messing with computers and OS's for years. People that read around their subjects will also leave their courses knowing more.

So its quite likely that people will leave a HND or a degree knowing a LOT more than the A+ and the N+. However much of this stuff may not be as vocational in nature.

After all a degree takes three years full time, most training providers leave only a couple of months part time for the A+ and N+. Companies that do boot camps offer then in two weeks full time, but maybe thats another issue ! :D

15. greenbrucelee

I agree totally. Some people though pass a degree or HND and think they know all there is and that is simply not the case, unless as you say people read around the subjects they are doing they are only learning what the tutors instruct them on that is necessary to pass.

16. zakzapakzak5

zakzapakzak5 Bit Poster

Thanks to everyone for the explanation and suggestion.

Jack.