Which Certification Appeal to you?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zimbo, May 24, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

This is more on a continuation of simons thread for studying..
    What certification would like to do: wheather it be for work, for learning or for future jobs?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

For me it is not a question of certs, it's a question of needing to learn the skills that I need to be good at my job. Certifications often only briefly touch on subjects that a more thorough knowledge is needed, so I spend time studying those areas to the level that 'I' feel I need to know them to inorder to successfully implement them, not so that I can sit an exam.

Of the certs that are out there I have to say that at the moment the CompTIA ones are most attractive because they test general topics, and not vendor based ones. This line of thinking, on my part, again goes back to the job that I do and needing more skills in some areas than others. I find that the CompTIA certs can give a great overview of the subject at a nice level, and then you can build on those skills if needed with vendor based certs.

8)

3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I'm just polishing off my last MCSE exam then i'm looking at the following:

CWNA (wireless)
    CCDA
    Security+
    ITIL

But there isn't any rush for these. Outside of the technical side of IT i'd quite like to do a diploma in Project Management, but i'll have to see how it goes!

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i would like to do something in Security and/or Networking, but that is at this moment in time, only time will tell...

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

For me, MCSE 2K3 :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

looks like i didnt answer my post
    Well ill finish up with what i have (MCSA and MCDST) then i would like to look into:

LPIC - Level 1 , Network+ and CCNA.

btw simon let me re-pharse what i wanted to ask.. you dont need to sit the exams.. like if you wanted to learn the material needed for a CCDA and just learnt areas of the cert... im just seeing what areas you guys are interested in....

@mattwest - you heard of the wireless#?

7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah its the CWNP's new wireless cert, although i've had the book for the CWNA for a little while now so i think i better actually read it!!

:)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Provided I do well on my last upgrade exam, I wouldn't mind doing either CISCO (CCNA/CCNP) or Security (Sec+, EH, etc) type courses/exams.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Handyman

Handyman Bit Poster

I'm still battling with my CCNA and trying to learn php and mysql.

Once thats out of the way I'd like to look at some Microsoft sbs 2003 and exhange 2003 training.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, BTEC Nat Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  10. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Ditto. I'd like to get my CCNA then finish up MCSE.

Anyone else get home at night and want to just stay as far away from a PC as they can?

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  11. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Security+ after I finish, because that'll complete the MCSE:Security.
    But I'd like to take a break from certs for awhile after that if I am able to do so, and just read books on specific subjects without feeling the pressure of having to remember the stuff for the exams.
    Like there are several protocols I'd like to read up on, in depth studies but still leisurely, absorbing what I will.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yip thats why im going to study 291 after i finish work end of the month... while i wait for uni to come round! 8)

13. Handyman

Handyman Bit Poster

I sit at a PV from 9-5 then get home and whilst I used to enjoy a blast on MOHAA I just find myself vegging out in front of the box, damn I'm getting lethargic with old age.

I have about 5 websites I should be working on as well.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, BTEC Nat Computing
    WIP: CCNA