Which cert?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Alex Wright, May 24, 2007.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Hi,

As many of you will already know, I recently landed my first IT job as a Helpdesk Trainee Support Engineer.

Not long ago I began studying for my A+. I'm now having doubts as to whether this is the right cert to be taking as the topics covered appear more relevant to someone looking to become a PC Technician.

Would the MCDST be a more appropriate cert to study for someone in my line of work?

If so, how much experience does one need before attempting to obtain this cert?

All advice welcome.

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

it depends on your experience and knowledge already...
    A+ is more technical to a point, but same as in MCDST. If you know alot about OS's and want to get more into supporting users then MCDST is the way forward, if your knowldge and experience is not alot, then A+ first, as the OS side will teach you the fundamentals which you will need to know for MCDST....

Hope this helps

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO there are 3 certs that any entry level/trainee position in IT support should have, and they are the A+, Network+ & the MCDST.

However as you are primarly and first most on the helpdesk (most likely responding to software related problems), then I would suggest doing the MCDST first of all as that would be more relevant to your job. Once you've completed the MCDST, then go and do the A+ & Network+ in order to progress in IT.

Hope this helps.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Knowing HOW a computer operates is part of the big picture. It doesn't do you much good to attempt to fix a user's problem (with an MCDST-type scenario) if you have no idea whether the hardware has gone flaky. I *still* use information found on the A+ exam on a daily basis. It's the foundation upon which all else is built, period. :)

Continue with the A+, then get your Network+ and/or MCDST. All three are quite worthwhile.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Hi, sorry for the delay.

From what you guys have said it sounds like the A+ is definately the right place to start.

I'm a newbie and finding it extremely difficult so far. Still, who said it was going to be easy!

Better get back to work.

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with your studies.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck mate.. i agree with the A+ N+ MCDST route :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)