Which cert next?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by soundian, Nov 6, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't think the MCTS: Vista or MCITP: DST on Vista would overcertify you. The choice to get it is up to you... but the MCDST should be enough to make you look good, considering most companies are still rockin' XP. Vista would just be a bonus.

Everyone benefits from more knowledge. :) If you do decide to knock out the cert, you don't have to place it on your CV. That said... it's a pretty expensive cert.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, it's not cheap. I think at this stage turning a relative weakness into a relative strength by reading and understanding the material will be sufficient. The current exam will be around for at least another 2-3 years yet so I can think about actually taking the cert later.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep I just did it today, it's not too difficult to be honest.

If you remember the security chapter from the A+ your half way there :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have had the book for while and kept on reading snippets but for the last week I just dug right into it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. beaker

beaker Bit Poster

you don't have to have another certification to be able to put something on your CV, you can just list it in your skills. I'd try a few things out, Linux is good because it gives you a good understanding of how an OS works and you become more comfortable with using a CLI which can end up being useful in other areas. (Some of the Active Directory command line tools use a similar syntax to linux commands). You could also try your hand at website building or databases or something like that - stuff like that will always be useful to know

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I have seen linux on desktops at quite a few places i have been, a lot of universities use linux especially the higher ranked ones. One of the universities actually had mainly all linux PCs with one room called the Windows Lab (The computers in the library etc were mainly windows though).

Im not finishing my MCDST because i have looked over the book and the exam is a waste of £100.

Im just learning VB.net, ASP.net and SQL server, i was thinking of looking at PHP and MYSQL but i decided against it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job