Which antivirus software do you use?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Firthy2002, Oct 29, 2004.

?

Which antivirus software do you use?

1. AVG

23 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. Norton

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. TrendMicro

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. McAfee

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Sophos

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Other

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

Which antivirus software do you use to protect your system?

EDIT: I use AVG 7.0 Professional

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Presently, AVG Free Edition

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

100% definitely AVG for me (ver 6 Pro ). It has so not ever let me down. I even switched to using it on my PC on work too. AVG all the way :biggrin

EDIT : I cant be @rsed with any of Nortons products (sheer bloat) and I know PC-cillin gooses up some peoples email account settings.

(Maybe I should start another - WHY does ANYONE bother buying these things when you can use AVG and ZoneAlarm for, let me see....£0.00 :scratch)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

mainly coz they don't know about the free versions, or they well hmm I'll let other's explain if they choose to pay for it :sexie

I've told countless dumb user at work about the free versions.Most of them sort of say " ok thanks" and look at me strangely like I'm barmy or something :rendeer
    But I persevere and tell them "yes, you don't:!: have to pay for it, really:!: :biggrin "

And guess what, some of them eventually understand:!:

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i notice theres no option for none? :)

i use none

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Really, never heard of that version.Have you got a link to it?

7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

AVG for me. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Well I use Sophos, but only because I get it free from work :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i use Norton presently, but the subscription ran out months ago, and i havent gotten around to updating it. im currently toying between Mcafee or norton for a firewall/av combination. but i dont know which to choose!

personally, although im sure the free versions are quite good. id rather pay for my security service, since if it goes tits up i can bitch at their tech support people. i do and will recommend free software to people who refuse to pay for the service. but id personally fork out the money myself!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

I'm currently using Symantec AV9 but that is mainly because it can be managed centrally from an av server and that I happened to get it through work.

Previously I used avg 6 (free version) and found it to as good as anything without being too bloated. Only problem with the free version of AVG was that you needed to keep an eye on updates as it seemed that grisoft had reduced capacity to their update servers and it would fail to connect when updates were available.

As I'm using ISA as my firewall I'm also using GFI's download security & mailsecurity to scan incoming e-mails & also http & ftp content before it is allowed onto my little network.

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  11. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

AVG for me, If you have XP try service pack 2 for the firewall I think you will find it is up there now with the rest of them.

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I think I'll stick with AVG, thanks anyway Pheonix.

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

like most of us here I use AVG Free...and its thanks to people like flex22, Jakamoko that I was able to get the free version...thanks guys...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have AVG free ed. on my machines at home and Symantec Corporate at work.

Fergal, if I was you I would seriously look at something else than Norton av and fw, and McAfee. The integrated systems have a tendency to screw the system up. As well as that these two seem to be behind the others in releasing updated virus defs.

If you want to pay for them, I've heard that AVG 7 is really good and for firewalls either Sygate Pro (good) or Outpost Pro (I think better).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

It is. I can definitely recommend it and won't be considering anything else for a long time. (Well, not until at least 2006 when my license expires)

17. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

I liked the free version, i mean the free version that Phoenix uses!!! lol
    it dosen't screw up the ram atleast n i don't have ne classified CIA kinda stuff on my computer to protect. lol

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  18. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I installed zone alarm firewall after some advice from here and was most impressed with it until I managed to track down that it clashes with my crappy AOL software. AOL give you McAfee firewall for free and the full antivirus for £2.49 a month extra so I use them. I personally like the fact the McAfee antivirus is particulary good at finding spy/adware and removing it.
    Why is it that you can use one spyware detection program and do a full search, remove files then run another one using a different program and it finds loads as well?

19. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

They're not all designed to catch the same type of spyware.

Ad-aware for instance is geared to catch advert and marketing related spyware whilst Spybot is geared to catch security related spyware.

Whilst they do overlap it's a good idea to have more than one spyware removal tool so you can thoroughly clean your machine of it.

20. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Fair enough though I've had problems with Spybot so removed it. Evertime I started IE I was always getting warnings when nothing was loading.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong