Wheres the big money in IT?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

According to this:

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/in/Cardiff

The best places to be really are Liverpool, Newcastle and Leeds. Cardiff has a higher quality of life than Leeds does, however I've never seen a single job in Cardiff, but tbh Liverpool and Newcastle do have jobs (Leeds and Manchester more so I guess)

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-l...stle+Upon+Tyne&tracking=getDispatchComparison

This being said, in fairness, what's most important to me is the bit that says "Property price to income" ratio. Leeds does slightly better than Newcastle and Liverpool on that regard

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/in/Leeds

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Absolutely, I completely appreciate how you feel on that score. I've got friends down south who are looking to move up north, one to Leeds infact, because the housing costs in London are out of control. Im a scouser. It's another world up here mate. The wages aren't that far behind and our money goes a lot further. Property is pennies in comparison. I don't see the allure of London personally. I like going to our office there but I like being close to the beach and the lake district, Wales etc here

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I love those cities, in particular my own of course. It's got awesome restaurants and nightlife and check out the property prices on right move. You can get penthouse apartments for the price of studios down south. The prices don't rise as fast so you don't make the capital gains of course, but rental yield for landlords like myself... It can't be beaten. Im not wealthy at all, it all gets reinvested but I do feel fortunate being based where I am, although ask me in a year or two as my tax bill continues to rise :(

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  4. Waqas Ahmed

Yeah I have noticed, that rent is about the same in the north and in the south. It's always easier for me to buy a house here, when I already live here! Leeds is "my city" tbf. Well technically Bradford is, but we don't talk of Bradford lol. This being said, in my town, house prices have actually fallen, crashed, and stayed there

In 2008, they crashed. Bundle that, with more people leaving this town, leading this town to being basically a town for people aged 40-50+ It's basically becoming a retirement town, without meaning to. It'll all change in a three or four decades perhaps, but that's a long while away. I'd likely be retiring myself then! (or dead)

5. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Don't tar all us southerners with the 'London' brush, there's plenty further south you can go and be further away from London than as if I was in Leeds ;)
    For me I've always had jobs that have allowed me to live where I like, sometimes it's been a local job, more often than not it's a job where it doesn't matter where I live and that's how it'll probably be from now on.
    Granted that's not necessarily easy to do, but for me it was what I wanted and have been fortunate enough to be in that position.

Going back to the original question, as has been said take a look at the job ads and see what the jobs are with the salaries you're after to give you something to work towards, and get a plan together :)

6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Worth noting that not all 2nd and 3rd line roles are the same. Also if you are working as a team of 3rd line engineers it can be good to have other team members you can use as a resource or get ideas from if you having problems fixing something.

Difficult to say where the money is located as so many other factors have to be considered which has been discussed in this thread.

At least with this job you don’t have to be based in London to get London money - some of our customers are based in London but I do all the work remotely. I have a couple of contractors that can go onsite if needed but I can get most things done from sunny Scotland. No need to travel which costs money and eats up valuable time.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Expanding on my earlier comment on 'sales', technical pre-sales specifically can be a very lucrative area to get into.

8. Waqas Ahmed

Lol. I am aware that the south includes more than London. Still even in Reading, I have the same issue. House prices cost a lot. Same goes for Bristol tbh, and same goes for Oxford too.

9. Waqas Ahmed

I think that's basically what most Checkpoint people do lol. Not so many people actually support checkpoint...

10. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

specialization

and contracting is where its at !