wheres my HDD space going?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaggy, Oct 9, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If your running Vista you may need more Ram cos its a hungry c***

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It was either that, or something VERY similar. Looks like that's a new version of what I used to use, with pretty colors and stuff. Thanks, Cheeks!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I meant to say that System restore actually reserves certain amount of space on the hard drive like Harry mentioned, in windows XP pro it was 12% I believe, in Vista I don't know exactly how much but I would say around the same.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Vistas alrite now that ive worked a few things out, appears to be running at XP speeds so cant complain, most difficult bit of switching over was figuring out what certain things had been renamed to something else, e.g. add/remove programs is now 'programs and features'

everything seems a lot more 'plug and play', the diagnose and fix wizards can be quite handy sometimes

im not getting the full vista experience, only have an index ration of 1.0 haha, might sort that out at a later date

only downside is theres no drivers for my scanner:dry

As for everyones replies, thanks so far, will try that program out in the morning, didnt realise system restore 'reserved' the space so its most probably that causing it

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What I usually do is set the system restore to 10% and leave it at that. I dont turn it off. There has been many times where system restore saved my A**.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Appreciate there are loads of different HDD usage proggies, but another common one was Treesize ( link )

Did you find your missing space Shaggy ?

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  7. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

sorry for the late reply, been busy recently

And nope i never did find my missing space, ive put it down to system restore storage space, even if it does seem a large amount

cheers for all your help though

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+