Where would my current qualifications get me

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by L1ONE, Jun 9, 2009.

1. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

As I've just left college in April, now 18, and now looking to do my CompTIA A+, im finding myself continuously bored, and just sat on my laptop browsing job sites, or something to do.

I've currently got a NVQ IT Practitioner Level 2, NVQ Systems Operations Level 2, NVQ IT User Level 1, along with 11 GCSE's including 3 1/2 A*-C's (Don't ask, school wasn't really for me).

I've found that the only people that tend to get back to me on job search sites such as monster and reed are training providers posing as recruiters. :dry

I want to go down network administration, working in a big company such as a bank, data center, somewhere along that route.

What would be the best place for me to look for a job, I've tried Connexions, Online Job Sites, random tech company's (Fujitsu, Microsoft, Etc etc.), all with no luck.

Im thinking about doing my CompTIA A+ within the next 2 week's, but money really is getting tight and so im wondering how much this would really progress me at the moment with hardly any experience in the IT Field, (The only experience i have is 2 week work experience that i had to do with my college for my NVQs).

I've uploaded my CV, if you want to take a look, obviously taking out my contact details lol.

Attached Files:

• CV.pdf
      File size:
      68.3 KB
      Views:
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The A+ would help you out mate.

CV wise have you read over your CV a few times? Some of it is quite painful to read to be honest. You start almost every sentence with "I" or "I worked" which kinda stops the flow of what you are trying to get across.

Reword this

....it just does not sound good! :biggrin

Why not try and add some detail to your IT work placement? You say that you have experience using Active Directory but there is no detail here, did you create accounts?

Perhaps reword a few things and post your CV again? :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

Thanks for the quick reply, going to get onto that right now.

As for the route i want to go down, what would you say would be the best job roles to apply for and qualifications to go for after the A+?

Im thinking the N+ would probably be best?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The Network+ and MCDST would both be worthwhile.

Network administration is a good, long-term goal... but realize that it's about 3 steps up the ladder. Most people in IT start out in an entry-level position, then progress to desktop support, then server administration, then network administration. Focus on now; worry about later when it comes. Thus, I would recommend any entry-level job - not just those in a bank or a data center. Entry-level jobs include, but are not limited to, help desk tech, level 1 tech, field service tech, PC repair tech, and occasionally, desktop support tech.

After you've gotten your first IT job, build as much experience as you can, eventually getting a desktop support position in a domain environment - preferably one where you can assist and learn from the server admins. Once you get a server admin job of your own, you can assist and learn from the network admins.

...but that's a ways down the road. Again, focus on now; worry about later when it comes. :)

Best of luck to you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Most companies are small firms and if you want to get into I.T then you can look in the yellow pages for I.T Service companies where you'd mainly work on a helpdesk to deal with customers. Ask to volunteer for 1 week or more.

Secondly another way into I.T is through the public sector such as schools, councils and NHS, where you'd mainly work on internal I.T support. However, as these are large organisations there is more competition.

Thirdly, go to your local Community Service Volunteers (CSV) and tell them you want to volunteer in I.T, they will find you charities to volunteer at. Also check out do-it.org for voluntary places. Finally Citizens Advice accepts I.T volunteers so try them out if need be.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)