Where, when and for how much(£) can I take the A+ exams in the UK?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Magicarp, May 20, 2009.

1. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

Hello,

Where, when and for how much(£) can I take the A+ exams in the UK?

I've contacted two people about this, one didn't reply yet and the other seemingly ignored my email and sent me a training course advertisement.

I simply wish to self-study and then walk into an exam.

Can someone please tell me how to do this?

BTW I live in Birmingham.

Thanks,
    Magi

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why not introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

You can take Comptia exams at any open PearsonVue or Prometric exam centre, if you create an account and sign in, you can get the prices off the site. Alternatively you can buy the exam vouchers from vendors such as GraceTech Solutions (they would be normally cheaper than buying it directly from Vue or Prometric) and then book the exam with the voucher at the above testing centre. One thing to note, when buying exam vouchers, please ensure that you buy the vouchers for the UK (international) as the US/Canada ones do not work over here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. zuccho

zuccho New Member

Prices are normally around £120 mark but with a voucher you can get this down to £90...per exam mind!
    I got my voucher through college on another course but you can get them third party (just google and thoroughly check)
    Worth it though to get certified.

:D

Sorry forgot just go on the Comptia website to book your exam when and where you like.
    I self-studied and booked my own and passed so it can be done.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what Ken said :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

Thanks, Gracetech seems to be the cheapest place to buy them.

Before I buy them I need to be sure I can get somewhere to do my test.

So I looked on the Pearson VUE test centres and saw the only test centre in Birmingham (where I live). to be South Birmingham College.

Well, I phoned the South Birmingham College and asked about the CompTIA A+ exam and they were hopeless. Spoke to some snotty women who wouldn't listen to what I was saying, telling me (as if I was the idiot) that I needed to to wait till September to enroll(didn't want to enroll! just wanted to take a test.), or that I needed to speak to a tutor (why?! I was doing no course) .etc, it was as good as talking to answer machine so I hung up.

So the closest after that seem to be in Coventry. I remember reading some Birmingham guy on the forum saying Conventry test centres were the closest to him. Does anyon know a good test centre nearest to me that actually operates?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't need to phone the test center. Simply register for the exam on the VUE Web site and show up for your exam at the scheduled time. No mess, no fuss - and you don't have to deal with anyone except the person at the front desk who you show your two forms of ID to.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

My essentials exam is tommorow at 10am. This may sound a bit negative , but how much is a re-take?

8. BosonMichael

It costs the same thing each time you take it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Think positive mate, give it your best shot! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

LOL OK Thanks.

11. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

Edited out due to a misunderstanding.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  12. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Mistakes do happen and I've seen instances where an exam date somehow got changed...

Anyway, if the exam site was wrong and pushed you away and you end up missing your exam, the rescheduling process and fees are entirely their responsibility. I hope you made this very clear to them and even got them to sign something stating that they are aware of this.

Just make sure you go there tomorrow and be there on time. If the exam doesn't run and it indeed was for yesterday, you can blame them and they've got to deliver the goods.

An exam center which fails on the day of the exam will automatically reschedule you for another day, I've seen it happen before (for example, internet link down, can't download the exams, computers all broke down, etc). You shouldn't really worry about. Right now the worst you can do for yourself is stress yourself tired about this. You'll feel worse tomorrow if you end up attempting the exam. Just take it easy, breath in and out a few times, and then go on with your work or some extra study etc... Tomorrow's another day to give it a shot.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  13. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

Passed the essentials. I will book the technician exam soon.

14. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate, I take it you edited your last post? Kinda changed the flow of the thread ya know? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. BosonMichael

Congrats!

16. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

My IT Technician exam 602 is on the 18th. What is the difficulty of this exam compared to the essentials? Either way, I need to get it done ASAP as I have othertraining to do!

17. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I found the 602 exam easier than the 601. It's more based on troubleshooting situations rather technical knowledge.

18. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

Great. Got my A+ in the bag!

19. BosonMichael

Be confident... but not overconfident. Never take an exam lightly... it'll come back to bite you.