Where to study??

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by paulwatson5, May 7, 2010.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Hello.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on the MCDST if anyone can help me out.
    My local college were offering it and it was supposed to start in September and run part time for 15 weeks but its been put back until May 2011 which is too late. (Ideally need this my end of the year as i will be out of a job by then)
    I'm currently studying for the CompTIA A+ certification via self study, just bought the study books and sitting the exam once i finished the books. (Plan to have this done and passed by August)

I know that the MCDST has 2 exams and i know what books to get but i just wanted to know if anyone has done this via self study and if they recommend it or does anyone have any other suggestions how to take this course.

Ideally i want to avoid all training providers wherever i can as they know nothing and charge a fortune.

I have looked into self study and the exams are £88 each and there is 2 exams and the 2 books are £26 each which comes to £228 in total.

Anyone got any sugestions??

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Will reply properly when I have more time, but id say self study. Granted, it doesn't suit everyone here, but I think a lot of the time it can be the best way to learn.

Have a look through the forums, you will find a lot of people have gone this route and there is plenty of help from thos that have.

Most of all, good luck in whichever path you choose.

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Got the books and a good computer and install Virtual PC or VMWare server as they are both free and you can install several OS on these to get hands on practice.

Study at your own pace or set yourself a time frame and then book the exam and sit the exam. I still think money wise the self study route is the best option failing you don't mind studying and motivating yourself.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

I got it via self study as have most people on here

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I went down the route of a training provider, money down the drain if you ask me!!

Self study (if short of cash) is the way to go and im sure if you encounter any problems along the way, the lovley people of this forum will be all to glad to help

good luck with whatever you choose to do

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. Hedley

Hedley Bit Poster

I done the study for MCDST at college, and I have to say, it was a waste of money.

I found that the class was slowed down by too many questions, and therefore I didn't really learn anything that I didn't know already. I got the MSPress text books as part of the course, and I've learnt more from reading them, in my own time.

As a result, I'd never use a training provider again, unless I really had to!

7. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

thanks for all of the advice, im defo going to self study.
    I'm doing the A+ at the minute and im up to chapter 7 of 27 of the "all in one" book and i find myself skimming the pages, mainly because i know the stuff already or that i know that its not relevant to the exams.
    I have done the practice test and i got 74% which was a fail as you need 80% to pass. The area where i was lacking was the networking section and i know that i need to learn networking as i dont know much at all about networking. So i think once i read throught the networking chapters i will be ok for the A+.

Off to the shop to buy myself a notepad so i can jot down the stuff that i didnt know or need to remember, like that DHCP and DNS is etc.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +