Where to study?

Discussion in 'A+' started by ayjay80, May 7, 2007.

1. ayjay80

ayjay80 New Member

Hi everyone,

Im currently residing in the West Midlands area and was just wondering how & where is the best to study for A+.

Is it worth going to college for (Where?) or is it worth self studying for (Again, where would I get the course stuff from?)

2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

For West Midlands probably best to google A+ and the word college.

Then again I guess it all depends how you learn stuff??

CF is very pro- self study as a lot of us have been ripped off with learning providers or just can't afford it!:biggrin

What you need to do is think back to when you were at school and remember what was the most efficient/easiest way to learn things?

Can you be strict with your time to go through self study?
    Would you better in a class and discuss the topics with a teacher or fellow class mates?

Would you prefer intense training such as a boot camp or long distance learning with interactive CD- Rom. The Good thing about self study is that it's very cheap compared to a learning provider and thanks to the warm friendly community of Certforums there are always someone here who answer your questions when you get stuck.8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

Hey AYjay80

if you can afford it go to www.cbtnuggets.com
    and get their A+ course; they give you free updates
    when they come out. like if you buy the A+2005 and 2007 is out they give you free updates or very very cheap updates.
    great CBT training. Then build as many computers as you can
    with a scarf over your eyes. once you can build a PC with a scarf over your eyes, you are ready!
    just kidding about the scarf. but this site is great for CBT trianing and the build or work on as many PCs as you can from 10 to 20 and you should be ready. and then get some practice questions that question objectives. 2005 was tough cause you had to know WINNT and 98 and XP all in one. but i am old so it was easier for me. hahaahGood luck!:biggrin

4. ayjay80

ayjay80 New Member

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

south birmngham college (digbeth) does it aswell

6. ayjay80

ayjay80 New Member

Dudley college is 5mins down the road from me and digbeth is a little far. thanks anyway mate

Does that one at dudley college look ok though

7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Having had a quick look through that link it all seems OK. If you want tutor based study rather than self-study that seems a pretty reasonable way to go - and at ~£265 also for the course I'd probably grab it.

They do mention A+ as additional exams to take, followed by N+ and CCNA so perhaps A+ is as simply as taking the exams but I'd be prepared just in case they didn't cover the full A+ syllabus completely - especially as the objectives changed last June might be worth while finding out from the course tutor/college which ones they follow.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate- it all depends on your knowledge on computers already... i done A+ in college aswell, although i never paid for it, it wasn't as indepth at all... the os tutor knew his stuff, and basically, i knew most of the material already of OS, however, the tutor for Core was total pants! ...and thats where i needed the help in mostly...

i guess, its all going to be down to the tutor, and how close s/he lays the course down with the objectives for A+. Just remember, you will still need to do a lot of studying outside the course, as part-time is simply not enough for A+.

Good luck

9. ayjay80

ayjay80 New Member

OK thanks lads, I've sent them an e-mail so im just waiting for them to get back to me now.

So am I right in saying that A+ has now changed to new a 2006/7 syllabus??

And where can I get that Mike Meyers sixth edition revison guide. I've looked at a few places (ebay and amazaon) and can only seem to find the fifth edition?

10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Here's the link from Amazon it's Mike Meyers 6th Edition for the new A+ objectives.

Also highly recommended by the members here - is Trip's book
    PC Technician

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Hey,

I think this largely depends on 2 things...

1. How confident you are with computers.

2. How well you can push yourself to study.

If you are fairly confident with the ins and outs of a PC and you think you can make yourself study when you have to then I'd say Seflt Study is the way forward. Buy the Meyers book, get an exam prep and book your exams! You'll pretty much always pay more for being taught by someone else, even if exams are included you'll still pay out for travel, books etc.

I'd say that my whole A+ cert will cost me about £215 including exams, book and exam prep and thats for both tests.

I hadn't been inside a computer for over 5 years before I started my A+ 2003 objectives and just got 719 on the Hardware exam with about 6 months of study and will take the OS in a couple of weeks. There is such a wealth of info on the net and especially on these forums that almost any question can be answered in a day and you don;t have to wait for your lessons you get the answers when you need them!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA