Where to start

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by cornishman, Nov 26, 2009.

1. cornishman

cornishman New Member

Hi I am new to this forum so for give me if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I am thinking of doing the Comptia A+ and would like to know where to start.

I will be working from home as I have a full time job (nothing to do with computers) so the only time I can put in to it will be at evening and some weekends.

I am 54 years old and would like to keep the old gray matter ticking over.

I know some things about the workings of the computer so I would like to learn more and maybe take the Comptia A+ exam.

What is the cheapest way of doing this, What are the best books and dvd etc to get.

Where to start first. and how long should it take.

How do I set my self up to do this re studing as its been a long time since I have done any thing like this

I have sent for the Comptia A+ all in one Exam Guide by Mike Meyers.

Please let me know of any other things I should do or get as I would love to get a pass with this.

Look forward to hearing from you best wishes.

Cornishman

Certifications: None at the moment
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

The book you have ordered - MM AIO - is the recommended choice for self studying the A+.

Also, I'd recommend that you get the PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills for hands on exercises.

You will also need a cheap PC to practice on, perhaps from Ebay.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hi.
    I just passed 2 weeks ago. I used the Meyers all in one.
    But be aware of the changes because from next year( i think february) you can only take the new 2009 objectives. Wich could be a bit different. If i start now i would go for the new one the 2009.

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/a.aspx

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. itskillsguy

itskillsguy Nibble Poster

Take a look at CompTIA's new certificate; Strata. It's a natural stepping stone to the A+ and could be more suitable.

5. cornishman

cornishman New Member

Hi thank you all for the replys.

I will get the Pc Technician Street Smarts.

Last summer I took my old computer apart and which had a pentium 3 in. I got a cheap motherboard from e bay also some ram and a pentium 4 cpu and cooler and rebuilt the computer added 300w psu from ebay and put the Ubuntu 9.04 operating system on it and it worked well with no problems.

If any one has any more tips please let me know.

Best wishes

cornishman

Certifications: None at the moment
    WIP: Comptia A+
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Good work so far, best of luck.

I would say practice as much as you can. I always considered motherboard manuals to have plenty of useful and interesting information in them. Download one for your old motherboard (unless you still have a printed copy) and play with jumper settings and bios settings. You can try to overclock your old machine a little as well. Everything you do will broaden your knowledge.
    Get your hands dirty :D

Again, good luck

WIP: Uhmm... not sure