Where to Start?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Nightmare, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Nightmare

Nightmare New Member

Hello people, I'm new here. so my plan is A+>Network+>CCNA>CCNP>CCIE.... I don't have any university degree just yet, but I'm and a freshmen CS student and I thought if I couldn't continue paying for my university, it's a good idea to do all those, i guess. In the mean while maybe I could get A+ certified at first, and get some money so I'd pay for my university :dry (although i already started with CCNA and stopped to finish A+). I was studying with the Sybex A+ guide for the 600 series but then I noticed there's a new 2009 exams 220-701 and 220-702, so I changed to Pearson guide for the new exam(is that a good guide, if u got a better one please tell me :biggrin ?). Plus what happened with the IT Technician, Remote Support Technician, and Depot Technician?
    I just wanna know where to start or if I'm on the right track, and if it's only just read a book, do the test, and get certified.

2. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi and welcome to the forums. My first piece of advice would be to continue with your studies if you can and if you have the time work on the A+ and then the N+. This will put you in a good position when looking to get a job in 1st / 2nd line support. This IMO puts you in good stead for future employability.

It is a good plan to to know where you want to go in terms of future certification, but without the experience on using these technologies on a day-to-day basis will make it very difficult to have a full understanding of the technology. So things like the CCNP, CCIE would be out of the question for a few yeats yet IMO.

The Sybex books generally are pretty good, and self studying is definately the way forward for the A+, N+ and MCDST (all good entry level certs). So carry on with what you are doing as it seems you're pretty clued up with what you want to do.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Answered your post in another thread - no need to cross post the same question in multiple threads, Nightmare. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!