where to start?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sabser, Jan 26, 2009.

1. sabser

sabser New Member

Hey guys, a bit of advice is needed for me please :)

I am looking to retrain in IT after a career so far in sales. I have always been interested in IT in a variety of forms, and have some basic knowledge...all self taught.

Basically Where do I start, would a TP be better for me or self study? I would be looking at a career either working for myself doing small business and home user troubleshooting/web design etc. or getting into teaching IT in some manner.

I have had initial meetings with computeach, and research into them has made me dubious, but not sure if self training would be structured enough for me.

Any thoughts on which courses to start with and the best places to go for either a TP or self study would be a great help.

If you need anymore information from then I will provide it for you.

Thanks in advance.....

2. Joecoral

Joecoral Bit Poster

Hi sabser, welcome to CF. I'm in a very similar situation to yourself
    We here tend to advocate the self study method over a training provider as it can be done much cheaper
    Most people start with CompTIA A+, then move on to either the CompTIA Network+ or the MCDST (Microsoft certified desktop service technician)
    Try taking a look here, there is a very good stickied thread on self study
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread11894.html

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: A+, N+, MCDST
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I always recommend self study. See all those certifications in my signature line? Every one was achieved through self-study and real-world experience. You can do the same! :thumbleft

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!