Where to start

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Joanne598, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Joanne598

Joanne598 New Member

Hello everyone :unsure

Yet another newbie here and one with no experience looking to get into the IT industry.

I was wondering if I should do or if there is anything I do course wise before attempting to work my way through the MCDST.

I have done a few courses years ago (CLAIT, ECDL and OCR) and use a computer everyday so I would say I can find my way around but not to the extent of what you need to know for MCDST.

A few months ago I got the CompTIA A+ Mike Meyers book and started reading hence when I got to something that totally baffled me the book did not seem to get opened as often. I do realise that I need to study hard but wondered if I should do any other kind of course before attempting one like the MCDST.

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
    Joanne

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) Joanne and good choice on getting the A+ book and studying for the cert. Well nothing comes easy but with a little effort and hard work you can go a long way in achieving some or all of your goals in life.

I'd advice you carry on with the A+ study and get disciplined without getting side tracked about the MCDST. Whilst you're at it start looking for helpdesk 1st IT support roles as these require little or no experience and a good starting point.

Cheerio and enjoy the forums:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

If something in MM's book baffles you - then ask about it here.

There is *no* shame in asking about stuff - we all do it!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hi! Welcome to CF!

A+ definitely seems to be considered as the best "starting out" cert. I've seen MCDST described as "Microsoft's version of the A+". From what I can pick up, the major difference is - the MCDST goes into quite a bit more depth on Windows and (software) networking - wheras, looking at the objectives, I don't see anything there that specifically covers hardware - which is covered quite well in the A+.

I've just finished the A+, and I enjoyed it a lot. It's a very good, very broad foundation. You can build a computer from bits, put some kind of OS on it, and make it work in lots of different ways! If you've already started, I strongly recommend you get this finished first. If you have questions, there are so many people here willing to help out - just ask.

I'm gonna do the MCDST next, cos I figure it really can't hurt to know Windows in a little more depth (and the MCP and MCDST thing can't hurt my CV!), but the A+ got me comfortable with the whole system.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome aboard...

7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forums.

No offense intended, but if A+ material confuddles you then I'd definitely get that cert under your belt before tackling the MCDST.

I was certified A+ before I officially started work in an IT role, and have worked as an IT support gal for 18 months before deciding to tackle the MCDST.

Granted, I'm a paranoid little worrier at the best of times, but I firmly know that without my corporate experience, even with the MS Press materials I wouldn't have passed 271- and that only makes me half an MCDST.

The exams for DST will use terms such as IRQ channels, DMA, port configuration and all sorts with the assumption that you know them. I apologise if I'm 'teaching you to suck eggs' but basic hardware and software matters such as these are exactly what are covered on the A+, and are paramount for your understanding and enjoyment in pursuing the MCDST cert. Just MHO. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What she said ^

BTW you don't have to do a course, as you are already self studying you can carry on that way for other certs like the MCDST.

As has been said if you get stuck just ask, thats what this place is for :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

What Harry and The Zig said....

Can I ask, was it the Microprocessor chapter that hindered your enthusiasm as this seems to catch a lot of people out (Including me :oops:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Joanne598

Joanne598 New Member

Thank you all very much for your advice. I work night shifts with a lot of spare time so my book is with me tonight and I will again start reading :)

I thought that maybe the MCDST was easier if I dare say it though I know neither are easy but thought that if that one was the easier of the two I should maybe start with that one (as it is all new to me) but then after reading all your advice I realise that it is just cutting corners and if you want something bad enough in this life you have to be prepared to work for it and so will endevour to put my big girls pants on and get stuck in so to speak.

I am sure I will be on here asking questions all the time :)

Thank you all.
    Joanne

13. AmandaT

AmandaT Bit Poster

Just wanted to wish you luck with the studying Joanne. I'm going to be going down the same route as you after contemplating the MCDST. I do have some experience but think i'm going to be more comfortable getting the A+ under my belt first and getting confidence with studying again!

Let us know how you get on! :p

Amanda xx

WIP: A+, poss. N+, then MCDST
  14. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Agreed.

Good luck with your studies! :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Good luck to you both - and don't worry about asking questions. That's what we're here for :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I thought we were here for the punch and pie?

:(

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA