Where to start websites

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Lev Arris, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

Hi all,

Went to an interview today (Can I just say the job-market is a hell of a lot tougher here than it was a year ago, I look on reed and see 60ppl applyin for 13k helpdesk jobs), Gist of it was a small company who have a website hosted at the moment are looking to develop it and make it all singing all dancing.

There happy for some1 to learn the ropes and not necessarily know a great deal at the start. I'm looking for some inspirational books to help me out here. Is this going to be an impossible challenge? I'm not even sure which certs do what in this field ?

At the moment "building a web site for dummies" is looking like the one, I've got vmware at home so can build something here but I'm not quite sure where to get the foundations from

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Sounds like a great opportunity:D

Simliar situation to me really. When I first started in my job I knew zilch about web sites/html/css etc. So I purchased a cheap book on html and css, not because the job I was doing at the time required it, but because I was curious about what the 'tags' and styles did. I read it and then gradually progressed from there. As to what books to recommend - it would really depend what technology they were using on the website - ie.html/asp/php etc.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you want to learn the basics for web design, you may want to visit W3School's website. Then look for the books/CBTs for the Adobe ACA exams for Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Flash :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I develop and sell websites on a daily basis so here is my advice on learning;

Download Firefox and the developers toolbar as this allows you to view site CSS and everything else, view the source of websites to see how they work, reading page and page of html and what it does will bore you and not really teach you much.

www.nettuts.com is another stop for great help, as will visiting various sites such as ThemeForest invest $10 or so into a fully working website and you can take it to pieces and begin to understand how it all works. It isn't nearly half as complicated as it seems and you can easily learn it in a few weeks, mastering it however, takes a lot long.

Don't read page after page of boring crap, get out there, download a trial of dreamweaver and just dive into it, dreamweaver is especially useful because clicking on an area of a website will bring up its properties along with a highlight of the area (good for seeing what effects what instantly and why it is where it is)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Install Firebug, does 99% of what you need in terms or debugging websites and examining them, no real need for dreamweaver in my mind.