Where to put scripts!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Jellyman_4eva, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

Well I have been so busy lately I have not had a chance to catch up so hi all!!

I am now studying hard for 290, got it next week and I was just curious about something...

I have been reading about logon scripts and apparently there are three ways of linking them to users, one is to create the script and save it somewhere in sysvol and then link it in to a GPO, another way is to assign it manually to each user account object, or the other way being to embed it in a GPO, the limitation of this being if the GPO is deleted then the script is removed...

Just out of curiousity how is this third method achieved?

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This might help as it covers the ways I believe it should be done but I am not sure about the embeded part or even if that info is correct :rolleyes:

http://www.computer-tutorials.org/tutorials/Mitch/using_logon_scripts.html

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Great link Pete, thanks!

Fergal recommended this O'Riley book on scripting to me some time ago. It is on my wish list....

Regards

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup well scrpting is not my forte, but with a bit of googling you can usually find a script do do what you need on the Internet, with just a bit of tweaking here and there - call me lazy but it works for me :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)