Where to go to find this...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jan 30, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hypothetical question related to this thread: You have a series of XML configuration files that apply to different portions of your software product. You know that not all of your customers will be interested in or need access to these files. Only admins and developers who might want to review or tweak these files will need to be able to find them.

Where in your documentation, would be the most logical place to put these files? Would you just provide a reference as to how to access them in the /bin folder or would you reproduce them in your documentation?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If I was ever creating a technical doucment, I would create a reference for each file on a page as readers would be able to quickly find what they want and get on with their tasks.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

In a folder named /1337. :D The people who need them will know where to look. ;) :p

Just kidding. I have no idea. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

If it was me i would put the information about teh config files in a box out within the section of the software product that thay apply to. People can then decide if they need to know this or not without having to keep flicking back to the relevant sections.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,