1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to go next?!?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Smorg, May 16, 2008.

1. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Hi there - just after some advice.
    For the past 2 years I have been working as a Field Engineer - basically, repairing PC,laptop,printers etc and this was the 1st IT job that I had. I was always a bit wary about it because I was classed as an agency worker with a temp contract. That didn't seem to be a problem as every day for the past 2 years I have been working.
    The money as pretty good but it was always my intention to do this for a year/18 months and then try and get into a proper IT based job. This never happened, mainly down to the fact that I really enjoyed the job and laziness!
    However, last week I was told that there was no more work and my service would no longer be required! Because I'm classed as an agency/contractor I have no say in this.
    So, I have been trawling through the papers/internet job sites to see whats out there and it's not too pretty!
    I do not have any formal IT qualifications - just the 2 years experience in hardware break/fix.
    What chances to you guys think I have in even getting an 'entry' level job. Is helpdesk work classed as entry level?
    Just really stuck as I loved the job I had but no idea what I should be looking for next...
    Any ideas or suggestions of what I should be looking for?
    Thanks guys

WIP: A+
  2. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Hi

From the experience you got (24 months) you should be able to get an entry level job on a helpdesk., I see you are currently studying for A+ which you should breeze with your experience so that is your first qualification, You might want to do N+ / MCDST, they can all be self studied

But as long as you are comfortable with XP and office applications you should be fine.

Try CWjobs.co.uk there are normally a lot of helpdesk roles and field engineer as well if you enjoyed that type of work.

Normally any job with 1st line/level helpdesk support is entry level, but I think you need to read the job spec as well; as the job titles can be misleading

Good luck:)

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  3. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

Jobsite is also very good. Keep your eyes open for similar roles to the one you have been doing if you enjoy it, I've seen a few myself over the last week or so. Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: CCDA ACSE CCWA Mitel SX2000 & 3300
  4. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

thanks for replying.

Yeah, just trawling through all the jobsites - a bit shocked that even for entry level roles they are asking for a hell of a lot of certs for not much money! Surprised!

WIP: A+
  5. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not sure what the problem is... you've got 2 *years* of PC repair experience that most entry-level techs don't have! They'd kill to get experience like that! So, count your blessings, and send your CV out to several prospective employers. Your real-world experience will definitely be an asset.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!