Where to go next?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by brinky2006, Jun 9, 2007.

1. brinky2006

brinky2006 New Member

I know that this is a long one, but please dont be put off!

At the age of 16, I am just leaving school, and I have found this site and forums very uselful in learning about the certifications etc that are on offer from various places.

The problem is this, In 3 weeks time I am leaving school, and I am not sure what to do next. I want to go into IT, as this is all that I have wanted to do since I can remember (probably influenced by my mom, as she is A+ certified).

I have applied for a college place doing a BTEC National Diploma in ICT Systems Support, although I do have the problem that this is going to be full time, six hours a day, five days a week.
    The problem is that I have assisted in the set up of a new company, which is taking off rapidly, and the company wish to employ me to do all of their technical work, when they are funded, which could be as late as January 2008.

Is their a route I could take at the age of 16, INSTED OF THE BETC AND COLLEGE, to start to become certified, possibly within the next year, or two years. Is there any type of 'e-learning' that I could use, as I dont just want to use books and teach my self, I would prefer something that is teacher led.

I know that possibly A+ could be completed in around a year, or could it be less? I also like the look of MCDST.

Both A+ and MCDST are included on the sylabus of the BTEC that I wish to do at college, but they are not running these units, as the college selects around 15 units from the 40.

Would working towards MCDST or A+ be better for me that the spreadsheets, databases and webdesign units that the BTEC offers?

Any guidence would really be apreciated, as you are the guys with the know.

Many Thanks in Advance
    Adam

WIP: 70-271
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications and degrees are great. I highly recommend them. But if you've got your chance to get your foot in the door to jumpstart your IT career, DO SO. That way, you will begin to build some real-world experience, and companies *always* prefer real-world experience over certifications and degrees.

Most of the guys here will tell you that your first IT job is the hardest to get. If you have an inside track on one, I'd urge you to jump at the chance.

Let us know how it all turns out!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Ermm i took BTEC Systems Support and it has nothing to do with spreadsheets and databases, apart from a tiny bit in one of the units, no more than a lessons worth though. some of the units were a bit rubbish and left you wondering why they were included in the course, such as Business Information Systems, but maybe they wont be ones that your college has chosen

It was a good course, very easy to get top marks in, it does lack any hands on lessons until the second year in, the networking side is mostly theoretical though

overall im glad i did the course

As for taking the A+, well you could do this as well as the BTEC, there isnt a GREAT amount of homework on the BTEC, although make no mistake, you will have it regularly, some of the units in the BTEC crossover with the A+ 2006 objectives, plus your mum will be more than happy to help you prepare for the A+, being certified herself.

Are you sure your course is 5 days a week? the first year of mine was only 3 days a week, 4 in the second year

I dont think you should do the MCDST now, as im sure it requires at least a years work experience before anyone should think about doing it? someone else can confirm that for you

As for e-learning, like most of the others on here, im on the 'self study' bandwagon, especially at your age, plus a college education is free, as opposed to the £5000 you'll have to hand over to a training provider

i dont know if your considering university, but the BTEC will give you more than enough UCAS points assuming you dont scrape passes all year

So yeah, in short, do the BTEC and A+ together, thats what i would have done if i knew the A+ existed when i was at college

if you want to know anything more about the course, lemmie know

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I would speak to the advisors at the colleges and schools. I would aim for a HND or a Degree. You need to accumulate enough UCAS points as has been said in order to apply to these courses, the standard way is with A levels but I think BTEC qualifications at the right level also count.

5. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

an Advanced BTEC (such as the systems support one) = 3 A Levels

FTW

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Adam,

Unless you actually have a contract stating that they will hire you from a certain date, I would recommend that you sign up for the National Diploma (Word of mouth means nothing). I recommend doing this as if you sign up for this course you'll be classed as a full-time student and be able to get the A+/MCDST in the evening (via iPro) for free - provided you can find a college that actually runs the course.

Not only this, but if you do get offered a full time job before the end of your National Diploma, you may be able to end the course and get the National Certificate instead, this does depend on how many units you've completed already - hence you still get a college cert :)

And besides once you turn 21 you can enroll as a mature student, if you want, to do further/higher education in the evenings.

IMO getting both academic, as well as professional certs will be very useful in the long run, for career progression - but it isn't the only way. Another option that you may want to consider if you get offered the job is the modern day Apprenticeships - learning while you work. You can do NVQ's levels 1 to 5, majority of people doing this route only go up to 3 as 4 & 5 are upper management (degree level).

You are only 16, you have alot of choices and opportunities at your age :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Wish i had known this

Id deffo do that

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This does depend on your age and if you're full-time study.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Go with what Ken says:D

You are only 16 ask if you can do part time or weekend work at the company it will give you money whilst youre at college:D

If you do that youll be getting experience and qualifications and that will give you a very good chance in the future

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Tuition for most courses for under 18's in the UK is Free.
    May be worth undertaking the BTEC & also look to do other CompTIA courses like A+ in the evenings or weekends.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+