Where to go from here?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mattstevenson, Jan 15, 2009.

1. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Hi all,

So I've *just* passed my CCENT (yesterday), and though I know where I want to end up in terms of certifications, I don't know which route to take. I'm not in a particularly Cisco position at the moment, so I'm not sure that I want to do ICND 2 just yet, for fear of just forgetting it all and being useless at my potential future job. I do work constantly with Windows desktop OSes, and occasionally with the server editions too. As such, I was thinking - MCP? MCDST?

Let me know what you think/what you did please.

Matt.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I think I saw you mention on another post that you do not drive.

If this is the case, I would recommend passing your driving test and getting a car as this will enable you to look for alot more opportunities.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. mattstevenson

I have £1000 available for learning to drive. I've already had about 20 hours of instruction, so getting a car and insurance beyond that will be doable, and will be taking place within the next 2 months or so. :)

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, in this age, you definately need to be mobile, unless you live in a big city with good public transportation :)

Apart from that, go for the MCDST, why not?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yikes! :ohmy I had two things to help me learn how to drive: my dad and a parking lot. You can do a lot with £1000... just sayin'.

Give me £100 and I'll teach you how to drive (though it'll be on the wrong side of the road!). :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. mattstevenson

Yeah, and I'll spend the rest on a flight to the US. Great idea. :tongue

Anyway, I was thinking of doing an intensive driving course. I've had the 20 hours of normal instruction on the road, and I know my theory (not yet sat exam). Of course, there's the argument that intensive driving courses don't provide you with experience, but I've already got 20 hours, so it'll end up at like 50 hours on the road. I would think I'll be competent to drive the short journeys until I'm properly confident. Eh? :)

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you dont really start learning to drive until you have passed anyway.

Look for places like car parks and disused airfields (if there are any near you) to practice, thats what I did.

I am an advanced driver and I would say until you feel confident an intesive driving course maybe too intensive and a waste of money. An intesive course should only be for tests like the pass plus or to be an advanced driver in my opinion.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I didn't do an intensive course, but I learnt to drive in about of month around my work. Saying that, I've not driven a car since I past my test- and now I'm dreading it :p

I agree you don't start learning to drive until you pass your test- you're just learning to pass a test :)

9. BosonMichael

It'd be more interesting than a course! :thumbleft ;)

To answer your original question, I'd recommend the MCDST.

Dude... it's a THOUSAND quid. :blink Eh, if that money's burning a hole in your pocket, by all means, take the course! The economy needs the stimulation! :p heehee!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Driving helps a lot with job applications, i was turned down for a few jobs as they felt it would be a problem for me to travel to work on public transport. Since passing my test I have been late to work much more than when i had to catch a bus though :oops:

Only started driving less than 2 years ago and still feel nervous to go anywhere too far as i get paranoid im going to do something wrong but then again i have always hated driving which is why its taken me till i was 28 ish to start.

I agree with the above posters, get the MCDST and see how you feel once you have gained that.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

When I get my first paycheck im doing an intensive course, am thinking of doing a few lessons in the meantime to refresh, also gonna get the 294 exam out of the way first as well, but I can honestly say my IT career would be so much better if I had a license so if you can do this IT will increase your prospects immensely, especially if you have to travel fair distances for work.

Then do the MCDST :)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Intensive driving courses are, from what my friends have said, a good bet.

I have three or four who have passed straight off the back of the intensive courses. The only reason I wouldn't recommend one in your case would be the fact you already have 20 hours tuition under your belt; what kind of feedback are you getting from your instructor? 20 hours behind the wheel should be sufficient to pass - maybe you just need to switch instructor for a couple of lessons, to get a bit of forward-thinking confidence?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. mattstevenson

I'm not good enough for a test yet. My instructor reckons I could probably do with at least another 10 hours. Or he did, when I was taking lessons. That was a couple of months ago, when the money my boss gave me ran out. It was only £400 though, so there was no way I'd have passed on the strength of that.

Still, there are varying levels of intensive course. For those who have had 20 hours, there's courses that just assess where you are, and get you up to scratch. Which to be honest, for £500 (includes exam), is not bad. It's exactly what I need. :)

14. BosonMichael

Wow... you guys across the pond must have one heck of a driving test over there... :blink

15. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Yep, thats because we have corners to negotiate :twisted:

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  16. greenbrucelee

and roundabouts and cars with gear sticks.

17. BosonMichael

Believe it or not, Nashville DOES have roundabouts: link

And I learned how to drive on a car with a manual transmission. ;)

18. greenbrucelee

crazy :D

19. BosonMichael

And there's a buncha nekkid people in the middle of it... link

20. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I don't believe that is a real roundabout!

I think you have taken a picture with your digital camera, spent some time in photoshop and posted about naked people :twisted:

To justify that Americans need to have stearing wheels in cars:D

Only joking.