where to get a domain name

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by flex22, Feb 26, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

AFter some recommendations for buying a domain name.
    I believe they're fairly cheap.I's just for my own personal website for now.
    The address I get from my ISP is no good, you have to inlude the ISP name and all that.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You could try register.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Flex,

Do you just want the domain name for a better email address of are you looking for webspace and hosting to go with it.

The cheaper option would be to buy a domain with a simple email forwarding option and domain redirection but if your looking at hosting the domain then things are slightly differnet.

I have a domain hosted with 38h.com that I use for testing and I get email and webspace for £25.00 for the year.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to build a website.
    In the planning stages at the minute.I'll probably put study based things on it, maybe tutorials, whatever.
    Also other things of interest.

I get 50 MB of space off my ISP with my account at the moment, so i thought I might as well use it.However the website name is under the tisacli domain, and I don't want it to be.

Would I be better staying with my ISP and just changing my domain name, or should I actually get the space from wherever I get the domain name from :?:

I'm not sure where the website will end up, but I have many ideas and things, and a website helps communicate things.

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Will you need to use any scripts when making the website such as Perl, PHP or ASP? Your ISP may not be able to provide you with these.

If its simple HTML pages that your after and a better domain for you email then contact your ISP and first check that they will host a domain for you on your account as not all ISP's will.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

To be honest Si I don't even though I've heard of them, I don't really know what they do.
    However as I get more into it, I'm sure I'll have to use those letetr things :P
    All I know at the moment is HTML, and much more to learn at that.

That website you provided looks the business, and I'm tempted just to go for that, as I think my ISP probably only allows HTML from what I've read.
    I think it'll be more reliable than my ISP also.

Not really sure how much webspace I'll get at 38h, it doesn't say anywhere.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

try UKREG, they are one of the cheapest around
    if you decide you want to go all the way on the web site i provide web hosting (unlimited BW+space+email) with your own control panel, we support MySQL and PHP (along with perl and cgi)
    which is £60 per annum

if you just want the domain check out ukreg :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

£1.60 a month for 100MB, that looks very good, and 9p for the domain name, that's cheap.

The £1.60 does have a '+' next to it, so will have to look into the small print for all the little add on's and see how the price changes.

Nethertheless looks good, another one to consider.Cheers for the link Sandy.

10. ornito

ornito New Member

I use godaddy.com I only use their domain registration service. I host my own.
    I don't know if they're USA only tho...